First New PC Build - 3070

kotokia

Budget (including currency): $2700 AUD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I mainly want to use this for my study and work which involves heavy graphic designing and 3D modelling of environments and character animation, so programs like Adobe Programs - Illustrator, Premier Pro, InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe XD, etc. 3D Modelling Programs - Blender, Zbrush, Autodesk Maya, Game Engines - Unity and Unreal, A few games - CSGO, Overwatch, Dead by Daylight, Subnautica, Skyrim, PUBG, etc.

This is my first ever PC Build as I am switching over from my Apple Desktop that went out of commission recently after 8 years, I already have a list of parts that I looked over beforehand and was planning to buy after securing the graphic cards but I just wanted to get some opinions on the build and whether or not I need to upgrade certain parts, could replace parts that are too pricey for their performance or I need to replace parts that could be problematic.

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor, Stock Cooler Included

• Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

• Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

• 2nd Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

• Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

• Video Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070

• Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (3 Fans Included)

• Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I am also planning on buying a Samsung 144hz monitor but that can come after the system is built and finished. Please have patience with me, I have never built anything in my life before except an IKEA Cabinet Furniture, so I am still learning ...

That looks like a really well balanced system. The only thing I would add is a HDD, but you can always add one later if the need arises.

4 minutes ago, jrhaberland said:

That looks like a really well balanced system. The only thing I would add is a HDD, but you can always add one later if the need arises.

Great! What hard drives would you recommend getting??

10 minutes ago, kotokia said:

Great! What hard drives would you recommend getting??

the segate baracuda compute 2tb. its 2tb for 50 usd. Btw, I would get a crucial p1 1tb for the ssd (samgsung drives are way overpriced), and wait a bit for the 5800x, as well as getting a cheper motherboard. A strixb550-f gaming would be fine.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Buying two Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB kits is about $20 more expensive than buying the 32 GB kit. There isn't a significant performance difference, as it's basically the same thin. I'd just go with the 32 GB kit. Refer to your motherboard manual on where to install two DIMMs.

Anyway, I made a parts list:

Add about $749-$849 for the GPU and you get about $2750-$2850.

This is a good build, but based on your use cases, there are a few optimizations you can make.

• The RAM is a bit expensive. The Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z is $60 cheaper and has the same timings, speed, and voltage. You miss out on RGB, but you don't really need it.
  • It doesn't look like you need that particular motherboard. You can save about $280 by buying an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS. Alternatively, you can save $24 on top of that and go with a MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK. Unlike both X570 boards, the B550 board doesn't have a chipset fan, so it'll be a bit quieter, netting you $293 savings overall with the board.
  • That power supply is VERY expensive in Australia, and it lacks OCP (which with the 3000 series cards might be something you'd want). Save yourself some money and get a Corsair RM 750 W PSU.

Now that you have saved a bunch of money with no performance penalty to you, replace your Ryzen 7 3700X with a Ryzen 9 3900X. You now have four more cores, a higher clock speed, and a higher boost clock - important for gaming and workstation stuff, and probably more important than anything that X570 board would've given you.

Here's your final parts list:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $726.21 @ Amazon Australia
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $259.00 @ Centre Com
Memory Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $165.00 @ Newegg Australia
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $236.20 @ Amazon Australia
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $178.20 @ Newegg Australia
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $185.00 @ PC Byte
Custom NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1749.61
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-21 10:56 AEDT+1100

Add about $749-$849 for the GPU and you get about $2500-$2600.

Use your saved $100-$200 to buy some games... or a hard drive. Steam has winter sales, so maybe wait for that and you can buy lots of games. Or if you want wifi, you can buy a wifi card, too, for pretty cheap. Up to you on this one.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

Buying two Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB kits is about $20 more expensive than buying the 32 GB kit. There isn't a significant performance difference, as it's basically the same thin. I'd just go with the 32 GB kit. Refer to your motherboard manual on where to install two DIMMs.

Anyway, I made a parts list:

Add about $749 for the GPU and you get about $2750.

This is a good build, but based on your use cases, there are a few optimizations you can make.

• The RAM is a bit expensive. The Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z is $60 cheaper and has the same timings, speed, and voltage. You miss out on RGB, but you don't really need it.
  • It doesn't look like you need that particular motherboard. You can save about $280 by buying an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS. Alternatively, you can save $24 on top of that and go with a MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK. Unlike both X570 boards, the B550 board doesn't have a chipset fan, so it'll be a bit quieter, netting you $293 savings overall with the board.
  • That power supply is VERY expensive in Australia, and it lacks OCP (which with the 3000 series cards might be something you'd want). Save yourself some money and get a Corsair RM 750 W PSU.

Now that you have saved a bunch of money with no performance penalty to you, replace your Ryzen 7 3700X with a Ryzen 9 3900X. You now have four more cores, a higher clock speed, and a higher boost clock - important for gaming and workstation stuff, and probably more important than anything that X570 board would've given you.

Here's your final parts list:

Add about $749 for the GPU and you get about $2500.

Use your saved $200 to buy some games. Steam has winter sales, so maybe wait for that and you can buy lots of games. Or if you want wifi, you can buy a wifi card, too, for pretty cheap. Up to you on this one.

Wow! I never expected I could go about it this way, thank you very much for the effort! I don't really need the RGB, so it is not a problem to switch over to the one you specified since I am more focused on the specs of my build, I wasn't really sure about my power supply as well as I had no idea what to actually look for to ensure that the graphic cards is able to operate efficiently but I will definitely take the pc build you have put together with heavy consideration!

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I can definitely wait till November as my PC needs to be built at least at the beginning of the next year at the latest, I just wanted to get it done so that the parts would have time to come in since shipping is hard due to the pandemic and lockdown! Also thank you for putting this list together, I will most likely change out the power supply and switch over to Corsair as you and the other suggested, I'll also look into getting the Crucial 1TB SSD as well!