Planning a 3060Ti build this holiday season but need advice for USB connectivity and CPU selection

HadesCore

Budget (including currency): ~$1000USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly for gaming, will be playing AAA titles, some premiere pro editing.

Other details I'm switching over from my Razer blade 15 advanced desktop setup which I run a caldigit ts3 plus daisy chaining to a Lenovo thinkpad tb3 docking station, this all powers my two monitors (1080p 144hz/1600x900 75hz) sennheiser gsx1000 Dac, KBM, and external SSDs. 

I'm planning on swapping out the laptop for a desktop, and most likely getting rid of the tb3 docks as well. I will be keeping my 1TB M.2 main drive and my secondary 1TB M.2 for the build.

The first thing I want to cover is my usb situation, I also have an oculus rift with 3 sensors, which adds up to an extra 4 USB ports needed, meaning in total I need a minimum of 8 USB ports. For the sake of simplicity let's assume I'm gonna be running the 10600k for this next part. So is there a really good Mobo out there with 8 USB ports around the $100 mark with 2x M.2 slots? Because I haven't been able to find one, there are some really nice looking ones around $200 but they tend to include a lot of features I have no use for (such as an integrated high end dac, wifi, (although bluetooth would be nice)) it's just a luxury making the price unjustified for me.

So in that case if there isn't a Mobo at that price that meets the criteria, would it then be reasonable to just get a USB pcie expansion card? 

The other possible route I could go is to just get a Mobo with TB3 and keep one of my docks, but I almost certainly won't do that since I've had way too many driver issues with thunderbolt and I'm over it at this point. Especially since I won't need to rely on it so much with a proper desktop pc.

The second point is CPU selection, I don't want an R5 3600, I'd rather stick with intel since I'm so used to overclocking on that platform, especially 14nm because I had a i5 9600k build prior to my current set up. That's just my preference, I've recommended the r5 3600 to my friends and I'm building a gaming pc with the 3600 for my cousin because I know it's good, just not for me, but in saying that, if it all comes down to it and there is an amazing Mobo out there only for ryzen that fits all my needs and saves me a lot of money, I'm definitely open to considering the switch.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated and if you made it all the way through this post I salute you, I know it's a lot to take it all at once

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor $274.89 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $144.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $62.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $124.99 @ Corsair
Custom Lancool 215 $69.99
Custom 3060 Ti  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $737.84
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-20 19:57 EDT-0400  

Here's a parts list! Since you will be carrying over your M.2, I didn't add storage here. If you find a different Z490 that fits your requirements (I'm sure this one does not, even tho its a great board in terms of performance), just check how the VRMs are before buying it!

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

5 hours ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor $274.89 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $144.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $62.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $124.99 @ Corsair
Custom Lancool 215 $69.99
Custom 3060 Ti  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $737.84
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-20 19:57 EDT-0400  

Here's a parts list! Since you will be carrying over your M.2, I didn't add storage here. If you find a different Z490 that fits your requirements (I'm sure this one does not, even tho its a great board in terms of performance), just check how the VRMs are before buying it!

Thanks for the help! 

I used to run an MSI Z390 tomahawk in my i5 9600k build so I can definitely appreciate the performance of an MSI board, but you are right unfortunately this won't fit my needs, since I will need to use a USB expansion card with it, it would end up costing the same price as getting a better board with the usb ports I need already built in.

So far it looks like the gigabyte aorus offerings are gonna be my best bet if I want 8 or more USB ports, but they are still a bit above my price range, but I guess I could save money in other areas to pony up for the better board, ahh too many options to consider 

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

That's an AMD board

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

14 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

That's an AMD board

11 hours ago, HadesCore said:

if it all comes down to it and there is an amazing Mobo out there only for ryzen that fits all my needs and saves me a lot of money, I'm definitely open to considering the switch.