4k Monitor Advice!

KazamaDevil

Hello need advice/information on 4k monitors.  I'm in a place like I think more people are looking to build a new PC or upgrade particularly for a "next gen" experience, and with all the new parts being announced or coming soon, this is looking interesting for most people.  I want to go 4k with ray tracing all that fancy stuff.  However upon doing research for 4k monitors I noticed there isn't very many good ones out there, at least not for gaming.  In that it needs to be 120hz+ refresh.  I did find one monitor I found attractive, the ASUS PG32UQX, 4k 1400HDR.  Although there isn't really any news about when this monitor will be released.

So my question is does anyone have any information as to when the pg32uqx will be released or monitors like it?  Also how long will someone have to wait to finally see more high refresh rate monitors available on the market?  I'm perplexed cause I don't know whether to wait or just build a new PC now with a monitor I probably don't optimally want knowing I'm going to replace it soon, hopefully.  Do you think we need to wait on better Display Ports to allow more bandwidth for 4k high refresh with good HDR?  I'm mostly building the new PC in anticipation for Cyberpunk and it is looking like I may not be able get everything I need when it actually comes out.  Plus I already have a 1440p 144hz monitor, so I'm not sure if I should get a better monitor or just wait for the better 4k monitors or get one now to hold me off.

Anyway thanks for reading and any advice anyone may give.

14 hours ago, KazamaDevil said:

Hello need advice/information on 4k monitors.  I'm in a place like I think more people are looking to build a new PC or upgrade particularly for a "next gen" experience, and with all the new parts being announced or coming soon, this is looking interesting for most people.  I want to go 4k with ray tracing all that fancy stuff.  However upon doing research for 4k monitors I noticed there isn't very many good ones out there, at least not for gaming.  In that it needs to be 120hz+ refresh.  I did find one monitor I found attractive, the ASUS PG32UQX, 4k 1400HDR.  Although there isn't really any news about when this monitor will be released.

So my question is does anyone have any information as to when the pg32uqx will be released or monitors like it?  Also how long will someone have to wait to finally see more high refresh rate monitors available on the market?  I'm perplexed cause I don't know whether to wait or just build a new PC now with a monitor I probably don't optimally want knowing I'm going to replace it soon, hopefully.  Do you think we need to wait on better Display Ports to allow more bandwidth for 4k high refresh with good HDR?  I'm mostly building the new PC in anticipation for Cyberpunk and it is looking like I may not be able get everything I need when it actually comes out.  Plus I already have a 1440p 144hz monitor, so I'm not sure if I should get a better monitor or just wait for the better 4k monitors or get one now to hold me off.

Anyway thanks for reading and any advice anyone may give.

if you can afford the PG32UQX then that is going to be the best monitor on the market likely for a couple of years (kind of like the pg27uq was) i belive that monitor is going to cost $3000USD so take away from that what you will

i personally settled on the LG27GN950 (4k 144hz hdr600 IPS) couldn't be happier. I've owned everything from 1080p 60hz to ultrawide 1440p and 280hz monitors and this is the best one by miles 

but the main point is that monitor is going to be the best, by far, no question, but you could buy 3 GOOD 4k monitors for less

i9 10850k @5.1ghz  |   evga XC 2080ti   |  Asrock z490 Taichi  |  4x8gb g.skills trident z 3600mh  |  2tb Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVME  |   Lian li PC-011D  |  |  lian li Galahad 360 AIO  |    LG 27gn950 144hz 4k  |  Logitech G915 wireless/Logitech G pro Wireless/ Logitech G Pro X wireless headset

17 hours ago, KazamaDevil said:

I did find one monitor I found attractive, the ASUS PG32UQX, 4k 1400HDR.  Although there isn't really any news about when this monitor will be released.

It, and the Acer that's built off the same AUO panel will likely be launched in January.  That's the current expectation at this point.  And both monitors are going to be over $3000US; probably somewhere between $3500-4K or so.  That price is pure speculation based on something Acer said last January but then quickly stopped talking about it.  Either way, don't expect that display to be inexpensive; it won't.  You'll mainly be paying for the HDR1400, and the fact that it has the NVidia GSync module in it.  Those are the big reasons for the massive mark-up over other existing 4K/144 displays available currently.

Further, those displays will be somewhat interface-limited to DP1.4 without DSC, and HDMI 2.0.  So if chroma sub-sampling bothers you while gaming (which, let's be honest: you're not going to notice it), then you won't be able to push the display to 4K/144.

As for what's available today: we have a few 27" 4K/144 displays, a couple of 43" displays, and a 65" one as well.  I have the original PG27UQ and have had it since it launched in 2018.  Gorgeous?  Yes.  But it's too much of a strain on my near-50-year-old eyes to be running 4K on a 27" display.  The PPI is just too much.  A 43" display is way too big for a desktop display, and a 65" display isn't even remotely considerable.  The planned 32" displays are probably the perfect size, but again: they're going to be costly.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

On 10/21/2020 at 9:21 PM, jasonvp said:

Further, those displays will be somewhat interface-limited to DP1.4 without DSC, and HDMI 2.0.  So if chroma sub-sampling bothers you while gaming (which, let's be honest: you're not going to notice it), then you won't be able to push the display to 4K/144.

wow I did not realize these were going to release without DSC or HDMI 2.1..... that seems insane at the pricepoint

i9 10850k @5.1ghz  |   evga XC 2080ti   |  Asrock z490 Taichi  |  4x8gb g.skills trident z 3600mh  |  2tb Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVME  |   Lian li PC-011D  |  |  lian li Galahad 360 AIO  |    LG 27gn950 144hz 4k  |  Logitech G915 wireless/Logitech G pro Wireless/ Logitech G Pro X wireless headset

9 hours ago, Tommwith2ms said:

wow I did not realize these were going to release without DSC or HDMI 2.1..... that seems insane at the pricepoint

The panel was designed and engineered before either of those technologies were ready for deployment.  At this point, it would take a redesign on AUO's part to make it possible.  If there's a second revision of the panel, then maybe.  But not by the January 2021 (planned) release.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |