How to clone windows from HDD to SSD

Dandapani

I recently got an installed an SSD into my PC. I want to transfer the windows10 os from HDD to SSD.

HDD - 1TB has two drives. c(with windows), d(with games and documents)

SSD - 500GB has no partition made. I want to make a partition in this SSD and transfer the windows from HDD to this.

I know I can make the partition in Device management by shrinking the volume. Lets say i make SSD partition as e; and f; drives.

I want to transfer the windows in HDD c; drive into SSD e; drive and then completely format the HDD c; drive.

Please help on how to achieve this ?

Easeus todo backup and then the clone feature. It allows you to clone the drive to smaller drives IF the total amount of data on the bigger drive is not larger than the capacity of the smaller one (logically).

Anything from Macrium Reflect or MiniTool Partition Wizard (yet I never tried it using this one). Clone the C to the SSD, then boot from the SSD and you'd be fine to delete the C partition on the HDD.

I used Macrium twice on two laptops and works just fine.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

1 minute ago, dhannemon13 said:

Anything from Macrium Reflect or MiniTool Partition Wizard. Clone the C to the SSD, then boot to the SSD and you'd be fine to delete the partition on the HDD.

I used Macrium twice on two laptops and works just fine.

When i clone the c(windows) drive from HDD to SSD will the windows in c; drive of HDD be removed ?
If windows exist in 2 drives simultaneously it would create a problem right ?
How will i format the HDD c(windows) drive ?

4 minutes ago, Dandapani said:

When i clone the c(windows) drive from HDD to SSD will the windows in c; drive of HDD be removed ?
How will i format the HDD c(windows) drive ?

No, that's why you need to boot from the SSD after the clone. You can delete your old partitions on the HDD. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to delete and extend the HDD partition tho (kind of faster because I don't have to do things multiple times), but you can use the one that came with Windows anyway.

4 minutes ago, Dandapani said:

If windows exist in 2 drives simultaneously it would create a problem right ?

Nope, it's fine. Windows would just boot from the one you'd select on the UEFI.

And make sure you choose the SSD one for boot.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

2 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

No, that's why you need to boot from the SSD after the clone. You can delete your old partitions on the HDD. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to delete and extend the HDD partition tho (kind of faster because I don't have to do things multiple times), but you can use the one that came with Windows anyway.

Nope, it's fine. Windows would just boot from the one you'd select on the UEFI.

And make sure you choose the SSD one for boot.

"MiniTool Wizard will copy the system required partitions only" ---> if i select this option then c(windows) from HDD will be sent to SSD. --- when this happens will it automatically create a new partition in the SSD ? because my SSD is 500gb and my c(drive) in HDD is 500gb
and my d(documents and games) in HDD will remain as it is.

I just need to boot windows from SSD and it will work as it is 

25 minutes ago, Dandapani said:

I recently got an installed an SSD into my PC. I want to transfer the windows10 os from HDD to SSD.

HDD - 1TB has two drives. c(with windows), d(with games and documents)

SSD - 500GB has no partition made. I want to make a partition in this SSD and transfer the windows from HDD to this.

I know I can make the partition in Device management by shrinking the volume. Lets say i make SSD partition as e; and f; drives.

I want to transfer the windows in HDD c; drive into SSD e; drive and then completely format the HDD c; drive.

Please help on how to achieve this ?

Did you happen to get a Samsung drive? If so, Samsung offers the Data Migration tool for their SSD's that allows you to copy the entire drive and resize partitions to the new SSD.

Just remember - first time after clone boot your computer with only single, new drive. Then connect rest. Windows keeps assigned letters connected to hardware ids of drives in registry and in some rare cases it may just treat your old drive as main. After first boot Windows adjust that settings and then you can connect your old drives.

PS. I'm mostly talking about your old boot drive. If you have lot of hdds and ssds, you must only disconnect your old boot drive during first boot. Rest will work the same and keep their assigned letters.