No Internet after Waking Computer

Isaiah9876

Hey there folks,

I've recently built a new computer, everything has been going fairly well however I'm encountering an ongoing issue. Whenever I put my computer to sleep and return to it after some time I'm disconnected from the internet (Wired/Ethernet), I then have to restart my computer in order to reconnect to the internet. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable as well as disabling and reenabling the adapter.

I am using an ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Motherboard, if there is any other info i can provide please tell me.

Cheers

Maybe change some sleep states in bios. Or change lan card settings to prevent turn off. Basically turning on wake on lan possibility should keep it alive and working.

I've never been able to use sleep function on win 10 without issues, imo it's just buggy, much less issues since I just turn of my pc properly instead. It takes just, 20(?) seconds to boot anyway... 

Yea it maybe some weird power saving feature but I'd just not use this mode (I don't think it's recommended to use anywhere either?) 

Just my 2¢

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I haven't used sleep mode for the past 6 years.  there were always issues with sleep that I encountered in Win7 and Win8.  I both my workstation and HTPC on 24/7 and the monitor and TV set are turned off unless I'm using them.  the amount of power usage is negligible, maybe an extra dollar or two per month.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

2 hours ago, Alan G said:

I haven't used sleep mode for the past 6 years.  there were always issues with sleep that I encountered in Win7 and Win8.  I both my workstation and HTPC on 24/7 and the monitor and TV set are turned off unless I'm using them.  the amount of power usage is negligible, maybe an extra dollar or two per month.

Well, computer at idle uses about 100W. 1kWh cost about 13.19 cents (average price in USA based on google). One day working computer (24 hours) = 2,4kWh. Computer running at idle for 30 days = 72 kWh. It's about 10 dollars. And only when computer is in idle state all the time. It's still not so many, but it's not dollar or two. 10 dollars it's 100 boxes of matches and 2 kg of bananas. Enough to overeat bananas and light 3600 firecamps. :)

the settings you want to look for are under  " power and sleep "  > additional power settings.

you want to then go to " change plan settings " then " change advanced power settings "

you are looking for:

a) wireless adapter settings change to  " maximum performance "

b) usb selective suspend settings change to " disabled "

c) PCI Express change to " off "

this should cover everything

windows 10 appears to be more set up out-of-the-box for laptops than desktops systems.

hope this helps

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

Thanks for the help everyone, i'll be sure to give all these solutions a go!

On 10/21/2020 at 3:58 PM, homeap5 said:

Well, computer at idle uses about 100W.

I'm not so sure for my system this is correct.  I used a P3 Kill a Watt meter and got less than that for my old workstation.  I'll need to recheck since I updated my workstation in March.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10