Is the Phenom ii x6 Black Edition still worth it?

I started volunteering at a computer place which takes donated computers, refurbs them , and gives them to the needy. The main technician was about to throw out a computer and I decided to look in it and found an AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition as well as a

Gigabyte motherboard (ga 890gpa ud3h). he ended up letting me take it and I just wanted to know if that configuration can still do well in today's modern titles before I spend money on a system around those parts. Thank you!!!

It should be fine. I'm pretty sure that the phenom does a pretty good job in games and if you're getting it for free, I don't see why you wouldn't use it! 

I would use it. Definitely, but I think you would have trouble re-using it.

Oh yea! It will do well in all games :D it is a true 6 core even tho its old it gets the job done! Btw where in houston? I live in Dickinson and the Galveston area and I would love to see where the place is! :D

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Laptop: MSI GT60 = -Intel Core i7 4700MQ-MSI GTX 770M-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700

That's still a beast. The IPC is on par with Piledriver and Kaveri. If you overclock it it should be just as good as another AMD cpu for gaming. It would be comparable to the FX 6300 and 6350

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Yeah! It's almost on par with the FX 6300! It'll handle anything.

Oh yea! It will do well in all games :D it is a true 6 core even tho its old it gets the job done! Btw where in houston? I live in Dickinson and the Galveston area and I would love to see where the place is! :D

Its near downtown, the place is called Comp U Dopt. The computer actually belonged to the technician and he was getting rid of it because he got something better. 

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'm going to finally build my system!

thats pretty good for free. 

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Would it not use all 6 cores for BF4 too?  I thought it took advantage as many as 8?  Correct?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Would it not use all 6 cores for BF4 too?  I thought it took advantage as many as 8?  Correct?

Noice PC Specs lol, I have no idea!!

That's still a beast. The IPC is on par with Piledriver and Kaveri. If you overclock it it should be just as good as another AMD cpu for gaming. It would be comparable to the FX 6300 and 6350

Correct.

It would be very similar clock for clock with a 6300 down low. Unfortunately the 6300 can clock higher with the same voltage. So you might get 4.0-4.2 out of the 1090T with 1.5V while a 6300 will do 4.8-5.0 on the same voltage, typically. 

Make sure it has a custom CPU heatsink/fan though or you'll hate it very quick (those little 60mm fans @ 5k RPM aren't nice).

Other than that; yes it's perfectly adequate for gaming and other uses.

Umm yea definitely. That thing beat out the 8 core bulldozer fx chips.

Well it's just one benchmark but the Phenoms crush their equal core FX counterparts in Cinenbech (Floating Point heavy- 6 FPUs vs 3/4 on FX6/8xxx). Pretty sure a X6 @ 4Ghz will be roughly equal to a 8350 @ stock and beats a 6300@4.5 or so.

Yeah! It's almost on par with the FX 6300! It'll handle anything.

Actually, if you can match the clock speeds, the 1090 will pull ahead of an FX-8350 in most scenarios.  It used a far more efficient design with 6 cores across the CPU vs 2 cores per module and 3-4 modules (FX-63xx/83xx). If you can get this guy to 3.6-4.0GHz it will be about the best you can get from AMD except for mayb

The IPC/Pipeline ratio is a bit better than both of the referenced CPU's.

e an FX-9590.

I started volunteering at a computer place which takes donated computers, refurbs them , and gives them to the needy. The main technician was about to throw out a computer and I decided to look in it and found an AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition as well as a

Gigabyte motherboard (ga 890gpa ud3h). he ended up letting me take it and I just wanted to know if that configuration can still do well in today's modern titles before I spend money on a system around those parts. Thank you!!!

The phenom is an amazing chip its about the same as a 6300 around stock speeds now when both them are overclocked for 4Ghz the Phenom is faster but, the 6300 has good headroom to about 4.5Ghz and at that speed the Phenom is a slower chip. If you can get the Phenom less then a 6300 get it, if you can't I don't really seeing it being worth it. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

Umm yea definitely. That thing beat out the 8 core bulldozer fx chips.

No, they were about even with the 8100 series and beaten descently by the 8300 series. Still though, definitely go for it if you can get it free.

The phenom is an amazing chip its about the same as a 6300 around stock speeds now when both them are overclocked for 4Ghz the Phenom is faster but, the 6300 has good headroom to about 4.5Ghz and at that speed the Phenom is a slower chip. If you can get the Phenom less then a 6300 get it, if you can't I don't really seeing it being worth it. 

Your build = My dream. <3 :3

Your build = My dream. <3 :3

Thanks man if you got the chip for free keep it man its an amazing CPU even with its age, I'd pair it with something 760 or something around that performance ratio and that PC will be able to max for anything. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

No, they were about even with the 8100 series and beaten descently by the 8300 series. Still though, definitely go for it if you can get it free.

Use Win7 without the bulldozer hot fix the older phenom II 6 cores beat the 8 cores except in the most highly threaded stuff if I remember correctly. All I know is the performance was not astounding at all and wasnt near what they claimed or even intel's current offerings. Hell, their old offering were more compelling which is why I and many got a first gen APU.

The Phenom II X6 1090T is certainly still a good performing chip. In fact, a majority of the Phenom II line of CPUs are still quite solid.

I'm still rocking a Phenom II X6 1090T in my own system! From experience and the talks from the interwebs back then, 4.0GHz could be achieved quite easily. Beyond...it's a different story.

(Mine still needs to be fine tuneed to get 4.1GHz running 100% stable, but hey, I had it running at 4.0GHz 100% stable for 3+ years)

The Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H is based off of the 890GX chipset. The 890GX was a small step down from top-tier 890FX. It was basically the 990X (below the 990FX) of it's time. The GA-890GPA-UD3H is actually an amazing board considering it supported PCI-E 2.0 X8/X8 Dual Graphics Card support, 6Gb/s SATA ports, and USB 3.0. Even though it only sported a 4+1 power phase, it had no issues handling overclocked Phenom II X4 / X6's. For ~$130, this board had it all.

When I was searching for a motherboard for my Phenom II X6, this was the board I had initially decided to get (...until I changed my mind and went overboard, and got the ASUS ROG Crosshair IV Formula 890FX instead)

It's helluva deal if you're getting it for free!

The GPU shouldn't have much bottleneck issues for higher-end graphics cards. You can SURELY go beyond a GTX 760. Hell, I'm running an overclocked Radeon HD 7970 here.

(refer to ym profile for full system specs)

Uhh...I've actually got a FX-8350 coming my way - which should be here sometime this week or early next week. I can perform some FX-8350 versus Phenom II X6 1090T performance comparisons if you wish. Well, I was wanting to do it regardless :D .

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I'm still rocking a phenom. Not looking to upgrade any time soon.

I had that exact same chip a couple of years ago when it came out and I paired it up with a HD 6970, which at that time was pretty good. Then after a year or so I upgraded to a 980X and guess what, I saw a tangible performance increase anywhere from 5FPS to 15FPS from just switching the platforms. What I am trying to say here is that that processor is not the best for gaming today and will bring some bottlenecking to the graphics configuration which you decide to chose, especially considering the fact that getting a 4.2GHz overclock with an AIO (like I did) is remarkable, however since you are getting it for free you should hold on to it and upgrade to a 8320 when you have the chance later down the road.  

jbmm0.png

b1dc7ff0_beuipi.jpeg

5384bdf2_crysis3proz2.jpeg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here