Is a Dell XPS 13 (2018) Still Worth Buying?

Recently bought a gaming laptop that I was planning to use for school. I was going to sell my desktop and go laptop only, but I really want to keep my desktop. So, I am thinking about selling the gaming laptop, and buying a consumer laptop with better battery performance. Since I am still at home most of the time I am thinking of just keeping my desktop for at home use and getting a more consumer laptop for anything else. Now to my question. Is a Dell XPS 13 (2018) still worth purchasing? It's two years old, but does that mean it isn't worth the money? Thanks for the help in advance.

it entirely depends on what sort of money you're buying it for.

if it's the sticker price from 2 years ago: hell no.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it entirely depends on what sort of money you're buying it for.

if it's the sticker price from 2 years ago: hell no.

found the Dell XPS 13 9370

i5, 8gb, 256ssd 

for $725

Eh, if you are just using it for school do you really need the sleekest laptop? You can get laptops with those specs brand new for $499 with a year warranty. If you'd like to pay a premium for looks, go for it, if you don't really care what your school laptop looks like I'd look into a Acer product or perhaps even a chromebook for sub $200 if your school workflow allows for it.

2 minutes ago, MurderM said:

Eh, if you are just using it for school do you really need the sleekest laptop? You can get laptops with those specs brand new for $499 with a year warranty. If you'd like to pay a premium for looks, go for it, if you don't really care what your school laptop looks like I'd look into a Acer product or perhaps even a chromebook for sub $200 if your school workflow allows for it.

yes and no.

- those $500 potato-books usually severely lack in build quality in one or more ways

- the XPS lineup is a premium product, which also means premium support (lets hope OP never needs it..)

- 725 for a premium device (did a quick check, that's approximating 50% off from new price seemingly), presuming it's new in an unopened box, and comes with its full warranty.. is a pretty nice deal IMO.

i do reiterate: presuming it is new, in an unopened box, with full warranty... 50% off on some showroom leftover from 2 years ago is not something i'd do.

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

yes and no.

- those $500 potato-books usually severely lack in build quality in one or more ways

- the XPS lineup is a premium product, which also means premium support (lets hope OP never needs it..)

- 725 for a premium device (did a quick check, that's approximating 50% off from new price seemingly), presuming it's new in an unopened box, and comes with its full warranty.. is a pretty nice deal IMO.

i do reiterate: presuming it is new, in an unopened box, with full warranty... 50% off on some showroom leftover from 2 years ago is not something i'd do.

tbh I bought a Acer laptop for around 399 recently and you'd be really surprised with the quality you can get nowadays. XPS laptops aren't know for aging well either way (keyboard issues).