Am I stupid?

Okay so it's a weird title to a form but anyway I'll get straight to it. Am I stupid (in British jokes thick in the skull) to put a ryzen 5 or 7 on an a320m-k I am asking cus I see these people on reddit saying you'll see your home burn down yet everything up to ryzen 9 is supported on the board (I refered to asuses official cpu support for the board) I just wanna make sure I'm safe and won't burn everything down 😂 have a good rest of your day

Hey folks: Thanks for all the replies really appreciated. I'm going to just keep the case or whatever and buy new parts in including a motherboard cus let's face it the motherboard will eventually just get too old anyways 

Edited by Vladimir Noobin
Going to just upgrade rig its too old

i doubt you will cause the great fire of london 2 but your system wont be winning any awards. and plus, if you have ryzen 9 or even 5 money, why cheap out so much on the motherboard? what specs are you planning to build on? 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Wow does that look like a bad idea. Ryzen 5 would probably be fine, if you've got good airflow over that VRM. But Ryzen 7, or any overclocking? Yikes.

11 minutes ago, Vladimir Noobin said:

Okay so it's a weird title to a form but anyway I'll get straight to it. Am I stupid (in British jokes thick in the skull) to put a ryzen 5 or 7 on an a320m-k I am asking cus I see these people on reddit saying you'll see your home burn down yet everything up to ryzen 9 is supported on the board (I refered to asuses official cpu support for the board) I just wanna make sure I'm safe and won't burn everything down 😂 have a good rest of your day

Just because it fits and works in the board doesn't mean it's gonna work well or long. Basically look at like amd fx cpu's and those low budget 760g boards. Same situation. Low end boards supporting high end cpu's and MASSIVELY crippeling performance, shutting down the computer, overheating, crashing,... Basically the power delivery is too low end on those boards to handle anything over the low end cpu's even more powerhungry ryzen 5's can trip lower end 320 boards and have lower performance. So basically don't cheap out and get a good motherboard.

Also yes there are b450 boards out there that are as bad as 320 boards hence we have reviews and this forum. So ask.

My memory is a lot of a320 boards have enough VRM to handle a 3600 but no more.  The big problem is they lack VRM cooling.  Using a 3700 or 3900 is tempting fate.  An a320 board with a 3600 in it is likely going to need extra VRM cooling.  For a 3700 a lot of cooling for sure if it can handle it at all. It might just break. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You can throw a 1.5L Datsun 120Y engine into the 1.2L Datsun 120Y versions Engine bay....
You probably shouldn't bother trying to put a bigger engine in there... a bit unbalanced considering the rest of the vehicle makeup.

Why potentially RUIN your own experiences...costing you moreso in the longrun.. in either performance or replacement motherboards.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz