Building a DIY 75% or 60% keyboard

Triboal

Hey guys,

Sorry to be a pain but I was looking to build a DIY mech keyboard, including buying PCB and case, however I'm struggling to find sites that: a) sell PCBs and cases, and b) have it in stock? Also, that are based in the UK/Europe and/or can deliver to the UK.

Also, are there any good guides to the process of building a mechanical from scratch that you would recommend? Please let me know.

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Triboal said:

Hey guys,

Sorry to be a pain but I was looking to build a DIY mech keyboard, including buying PCB and case, however I'm struggling to find sites that: a) sell PCBs and cases, and b) have it in stock?

Hey there.

Here are some vendors for mechanical keyboard parts. I've linked to their PCBs or Parts sections below:

18 minutes ago, Triboal said:

Also, are there any good guides to the process of building a mechanical from scratch that you would recommend? Please let me know.

We, er, have An Introduction to Custom Mechanical Keyboards? It's less of a step-by-step guide and more of a condensed primer for those just starting out or have an interest in custom keebs. See Section [4.3] Assembly if all you're interested in is the assembly process, but it's very far from the best tutorial out there. 😳

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

@Eschew @geo3 thanks for the recommendations guys, just bee looking at it now and watching youtube videos on how to build a mechanical keyboard.

I was debating getting this:

https://kprepublic.com/cart

Obivously doesn't include the switches or the keycaps yet but I know I will probably want to get Kailh BOX red (probably buy it from overclockers or something) and keycaps I'll shop around until I find double shot PBT ones that I like.

Really appreciate all the help!

3 minutes ago, Triboal said:

@Eschew @geo3 thanks for the recommendations guys, just bee looking at it now and watching youtube videos on how to build a mechanical keyboard.

I was debating getting this:

https://kprepublic.com/cart

Obivously doesn't include the switches or the keycaps yet but I know I will probably want to get Kailh BOX red (probably buy it from overclockers or something) and keycaps I'll shop around until I find double shot PBT ones that I like.

You can't link a cart like that.

8 minutes ago, Triboal said:

Er...

Might want to screenshot your cart or provide a list of links to the products? The link above is just a generic link to a KPrepublic Shopping Cart. 😅

Kailh BOXs are solid switches for those just starting out, I've got BOX Blacks, BOX Ancient Grays, two other types of BOX switches, and I stan Kailh BOXs am very partial towards them. 😁

Doubleshot PBT keycaps are a good choice as well. 👍

Happy to hear that the help was appreciated!

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

37 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Your PCB won't fit the case and plate. 

Also see if you can get Zeal or Durok stabilizers. 

Okay, this is what I have so far then:

image.thumb.png.a417e68b86bf110acd9cf0251f5244c2.png

I opted for the "kit 3" in the link I mentioned before which includes the xd64 PCB and the (2.25U Lshift) aluminium plate.

Only thing I have missing is the stabilizers - do you know where I could get those brand (Durok and Zeal) of stabilizers from?

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

I would check the EU based shops in Eschew's guide. I'm in the US and am not familiar with them. But here I would get them from either novelkeys.xys or zealpc.net

Okay, will do.

What do you think of the build list so far? In terms of compatibility?