Intermittent memory errors 55 on Maximus IV Formula

Hello all. I have a Maximus IV formula motherboard in which I having an issue with that is driving me crazy. It has been giving me intermittent 55 error codes. I can't for the life of me figure out what the issue is. Sometimes it posts, sometimes it doesn't. When I think I've fixed it by adjusting CPU bracket screws I test rebooting up to 20 times to make sure it's stable and again I get mobo error 55. Since it is intermittent, it's even more frustrating because I can't figure out if I've fixed it unless I've rebooted repeatedly trying to get to 15-20 reboots successfully without the error. It is g.skill ram, four dimm's at 32gb using an i7-7700K @ 5ghz. I've worked on and repaired computers before so I am starting to wonder if this is something I'll just have to live with since it's a 9/10 reboot kinda issue till it rears it's ugly head. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Once booted this computer is a beast and runs perfectly fine until the 55 error on reboot eventually comes up again. It can't be bent CPU pins, otherwise it would happen every single time, correct me if I am wrong.

Maximus IV doesnt support a 7700K cpu....

You mean Maximus IX??

Post codes in my sig below. 

Not home to further help till later.

In the mean time can you list the memory part number please? Maybe someone can chime in and further help ya. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 5:19 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Maximus IV doesnt support a 7700K cpu....

You mean Maximus IX??

Post codes in my sig below. 

Not home to further help till later.

In the mean time can you list the memory part number please? Maybe someone can chime in and further help ya. 

Sorry, with Halloween and everything I've been so busy the past few weeks that I hadn't replied. Thank you so much for helping! Okay so the errors that I get are 55 codes. It's intermittent. In fact yes it IS a Maximus IX Formula motherboard. The memory is 

F4-3866C18D-16GTZR

four modules for a total of 32GB ram. Currently they are overclocked to 4000mhz. It is in fact on the QVL on gskill's site for this board. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think I have gotten one other error code before, I'll let you know when it comes to mind.

55 post code indicates memory not installed.

So the board decides not to see the memory.

You can do some testing at a lower frequency and even default.

Being buggy, have you ever updated the bios? That might be worth looking into. But dont flash unless the system is at all defaults.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

55 post code indicates memory not installed.

So the board decides not to see the memory.

You can do some testing at a lower frequency and even default.

Being buggy, have you ever updated the bios? That might be worth looking into. But dont flash unless the system is at all defaults.

The mother does indeed have the latest BIOS installed. What else can I try?

5 minutes ago, OverC1ockeD said:

The mother does indeed have the latest BIOS installed. What else can I try?

Trying different memory frequencies and timing sets. I'm thinking 3866mhz is a stretch to run XMP on the memory controller. Maybe an even 3800mhz instead? 

On 11/14/2020 at 10:36 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Trying different memory frequencies and timing sets. I'm thinking 3866mhz is a stretch to run XMP on the memory controller. Maybe an even 3800mhz instead? 

It meets the QVL for that board. It's currently clocked at 4000mhz; but that shouldn't be the issue because that issue has been going ever since it was installed. So I don't know what the deal is or what else to do except for staying on the phone with gskill and troubleshooting for hours before an RMA which I definitely do not want to do. If it runs at all it's usually not faulty. Like right now - completely stable, no crashed, haven't restarted for probably over a week now. The problem is when I DO restart it will randomly give me that code. Makes no sense at all.

@OverC1ockeD

What have done so far to confirm that DDR4-3866 or DDR4-4000 is stable?

What kind of load / stress test are putting on the memory to indicate it is stable?

From what I know, 4x DIMMs puts  more strain on the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC).

2x DIMMs of DDR4-4000 is easier to keep stable, and easier to run than 4x DIMMs of of DDR4-40000.

QVL means G.Skill has tested this kit with XMP enabled, operating at DDR4-3866.

That DOES NOT mean it is then tested with a DDR4-4000 overclock.

They only tested with a 16GB (8GB X 2) kit, NOT 32GB (8GB X 4) set-up.

My above point then goes back to 2x DIMMs vs 4x DIMMs putting more strain on the IMC.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>