New Cyberpunk 2077 ready Zen3 Build

Kimera

Budget: £4000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming - Cyberpunk 2077, maybe some light/ infrequent Virtual Machine use.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/L332RT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Reasoning: Actually planning for a 5900X here, but can't select that from PPP at the moment. Also considering a 5950X, appreciate that the diminishing returns for that would be minimal but can afford it unless someone wants to talk me out of it.

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Reasoning: Seems to be the best 360mm AIO currently available or close enough to be negligable.

Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX4 4 g Thermal Paste
Reasoning: Seems to be one of the best available, I don’t understand the application of Metallic Paste or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut to make it worth the ~1.5 degree difference.

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Reasoning:  This is the part I am least suire about, has all the features I’d need, as far as I can tell the other X570 motherboards are similar enough not to matter.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory 
Reasoning: Already have this, got a deal on it.

Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB with Heatsink
Reasoning: Already have, got a deal on it during Prime Day

Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card 
Reasoning: I trust the brand is the main reasoning, doesn’t suffer from the issues we saw with some of the other 3080 cards, might substitute with Gigabyte RTX3080 10GB Gaming OC. Guess it all depends what/ when I can actually get a 3080 :’(

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A ATX Mid Tower Case
Reasoning: Mostly because it seems to be one of the best cases for airflow.

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold
Reasoning: Good brand with plenty of wattage headroom, that’s it.

Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan
Reasoning: For rear fan mount of case, largest supported. As far as I’m aware Artic fans have comparable outcomes to Noctua equivalents, unless someone can demonstrate otherwise?

Case Fan: ARCTIC P12
Reasoning: Three of these to fill in the remaining case fan slots, as above, believe they benchmark near identical to the equivalent Noctua’s but at half the price.

Any comments/ suggestions etc will be much appreciated, haven't build a computer from scratch in about 10 years (still rocking a i5-2500) so if I've missed any developments I've missed as suggested by the above just let me know.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z (LGA1155) | CPU: Intel i5 2400 (3.1 GHz) Sandy Bridge | GPU: Asus STRIX nVidia GeForce 970 | RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 MHz | SDD: OCZ-VERTEX3 128 GB | HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (RAID-0) + Western Digital Green 1 TB

Cyberpunk and virtual machine need all the cores they could get, id recommend the 5950x

7 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Display?

I'm not too worried about that at this point, might get something like 144Hz monitor down the line but willing to overspec on a PC now even if my monitor can't keep up.

5 minutes ago, Ankh tech tips said:

Cyberpunk and virtual machine need all the cores they could get, id recommend the 5950x

Are games better at parallel processing now than I thought? Was fairly sure even modern games didn't really use more than a few cores, certainly not 12.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z (LGA1155) | CPU: Intel i5 2400 (3.1 GHz) Sandy Bridge | GPU: Asus STRIX nVidia GeForce 970 | RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 MHz | SDD: OCZ-VERTEX3 128 GB | HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (RAID-0) + Western Digital Green 1 TB

1 minute ago, Kimera said:

I'm not too worried about that at this point, might get something like 144Hz monitor down the line but willing to overspec on a PC now even if my monitor can't keep up.

? So why don't you just spend less on the pc overall and get a decent monitor with everything?

Without a decent display to run games at a nice resolution/refresh rate, there's no point in buying any of these parts 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

? So why don't you just spend less on the pc overall and get a decent monitor with everything?

Without a decent display to run games at a nice resolution/refresh rate, there's no point in buying any of these parts 

He could upgrade later

7 minutes ago, Kimera said:

Are games better at parallel processing now than I thought? Was fairly sure even modern games didn't really use more than a few cores, certainly not 12.

Well not really buy if you ever stream multitask or vr you will need the extra cores

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Think you'll find I have plenty of my inital budget left over to get a monitor, might ask about which would be best in the monitor section later, really don't understand how best to compare them.

Suprised I have only got pushback from a monitor perspective, although perhaps I shouldn't be.