Should I buy another router? Or a simple access point?

Go to solution Solved by Atlantisman,

I wouldn't buy another router, running two routers on the same network presents a lot of potential problems with double NATing and etc. I would buy an Access Point, or even a router that can go into Access Point mode. Such as the one listed below:

http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-AirStation-HighPower-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B005CSOE1G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1394476778&sr=8-6&keywords=buffalo+router

Here's my situation - I'm trying to extend my internet connection to my garage. Currently, I do not get signal back there from the wireless router located inside of my house. I have an extra wireless router laying around that I read I could connect and set up as an access point but I believe it may be a little faulty. I would have to connect it and figure that out but I have a feeling that it's time for an upgrade. For my purposes, should I invest in a proper access point? Or, if it'll cost the same, should I just invest in a newer router and use it as an access point?

I do have a long enough ethernet cable to extend the connection from my current router to the new access point/router. I just don't know which is better for my purposes.

Thanks for the assist.

EDIT: I've tried a range extender and it worked but not at the results I would've liked to see. I'm paying for speeds of 30MBs down and with the extender equipped all I got was 4MBs down. I used a Netgear Range Extender for this. 

post-53609-0-83044400-1394471242.jpg

Do you need to pay your ISP for a new router that you enable in your network?

Do you need to pay your ISP for a new router that you enable in your network?

Unfortunately I do and I'd also have to pay a monthly "equipment rental" fee. 

I would say invest in an access point, mainly because if you invest in a new router then it will eventually add up to at least the cost of 2 access points.

You may not get all of the advantages, but if I was in your position I would rather spend money one one access point ,than on one router and two access points.  (Yea, you understand what I mean)

If the old router is still good and has the wireless speed you want than go for that. If not invest in a new Wireless Access Point. They should be cheaper, since they don't have to have routing capabilities.\

Like This

Current Build: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Windowed | i5-3570K | Asus GTX 660 Top @ 1200Mhz/6524Mhz | Asus P8-Z77V |

Corsair HX750 | WD Black 500 GB | Kingston HyperX Genesis 8 GB (2x4 GB)

I wouldn't buy another router, running two routers on the same network presents a lot of potential problems with double NATing and etc. I would buy an Access Point, or even a router that can go into Access Point mode. Such as the one listed below:

http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-AirStation-HighPower-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B005CSOE1G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1394476778&sr=8-6&keywords=buffalo+router

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5