Looking for New Laptop for College

Hi, I am looking into get a new laptop for college and would like some recommendations and/or suggestions.

My use case:

• Productivity (mostly Microsoft Office)
  • Web Browsing
  • Programming
  • Very light CAD work on the laptop (5 or less part assembly)
  • remote access to my desktop for most of my work which includes CAD work

Features I would like to have:

• Longish battery life has I will be taking it from class to class for most of the day
  • 15 in non-touch screen
  • 12 GB of Memory
  • 11th Gen Core i7

I am currently looking at getting the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (11th gen i7, 12 GB Memory, 512 GB M.2 NvMe SSD). Looking forward to your suggestions and/or comments.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

14 minutes ago, Server_42 said:

Hi, I am looking into get a new laptop for college and would like some recommendations and/or suggestions.

My use case:

• Productivity (mostly Microsoft Office)
  • Web Browsing
  • Programming
  • Very light CAD work on the laptop (5 or less part assembly)
  • remote access to my desktop for most of my work which includes CAD work

Features I would like to have:

• Longish battery life has I will be taking it from class to class for most of the day
  • 15 in non-touch screen
  • 12 GB of Memory
  • 11th Gen Core i7

I am currently looking at getting the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (11th gen i7, 12 GB Memory, 512 GB M.2 NvMe SSD). Looking forward to your suggestions and/or comments.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

Budget? Microsoft also has some decent, sleek options. How come non-touch screen? Do you want a Dedicated GPU?

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

4 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Budget? Microsoft also has some decent, sleek options. How come non-touch screen? Do you want a Dedicated GPU?

Budget is $1,000 or less (preferably less). The reason why I don't want a touch screen is that I am not doing anything that requires one. Unless you think it could be useful for taking notes or something. I do not need a dedicated GPU because I will be using Parsec to connect to my desktop and use it's GPU to cut down on cost and complexity of having multiple copies of a file that are different versions. Also, from what I have seen from early looks, it seems like Tiger Lake's Integrated graphics should be plenty for what I need. I also plan on using my new laptop for about 5 years.

1 minute ago, Server_42 said:

Budget is $1,000 or less (preferably less). The reason why I don't want a touch screen is that I am not doing anything that requires one. Unless you think it could be useful for taking notes or something. I do not need a dedicated GPU because I will be using Parsec to connect to my desktop and use it's GPU to cut down on cost and complexity of having multiple copies of a file that are different versions. Also, from what I have seen from early looks, it seems like Tiger Lake's Integrated graphics should be plenty for what I need. I also plan on using my new laptop for about 5 years.

The dell should be pretty well suited for your needs, then. At  $1000, a laptop with a 11th gen i7, 500gb of storage, and 10+ gb of ram isn't the easiest to find. I do reccomend looking around maybe at a local microcenter, or costco, or their online websites, as well as doing a little more research, since this area isn't my forte. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

The dell should be pretty well suited for your needs, then. At  $1000, a laptop with a 11th gen i7, 500gb of storage, and 10+ gb of ram isn't the easiest to find. I do reccomend looking around maybe at a local microcenter, or costco, or their online websites, as well as doing a little more research, since this area isn't my forte. 

I will look more into it more. From what I can tell it seems pretty good for what I need and is available on dell.com. I may also be able to get a student discount for it, which will be good for my budget.