OnePlus 8T, Pixel 5 or Samsung S20

straightchase

I have been looking for a new phone to replace my s9 and now seems like a good time with all the new devices being launched.

All are priced similarly here in the UK with the prices being £549 £599 and around £600 respectively. 

I want a phone with decent battery life that charges quickly (im looking at you OnePlus o.o) and a decent camera 

But most importantly I want your opinion on which phone offers the most complete package.

Much love guys and thanks 

33 minutes ago, straightchase said:

I have been looking for a new phone to replace my s9 and now seems like a good time with all the new devices being launched.

All are priced similarly here in the UK with the prices being £549 £599 and around £600 respectively. 

I want a phone with decent battery life that charges quickly (im looking at you OnePlus o.o) and a decent camera 

But most importantly I want your opinion on which phone offers the most complete package.

Much love guys and thanks 

the 8t/S20 (FE?) outclasses the pixel 5 in most respects. The only reason why I'd personally go pixel 5 would be for an offical ip rating, or the camera software which can do farily crazy things, like adjust the focus of photos after they're taken. The s20 itself is 700 euros, so do you mean the s20 FE? Anyways, I'd go with the 8t or FE for sure, but I reccomend you do a little more research. The 8t will have.... 2 years of software support I beileve, same for the s20fe

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

You're looking at the FE for the S20, yes?

Depends what you ultimately want.

• S20FE, 8T both have the SD865, but the Pixel has the SD765G
  • S20FE and 8T have a higher refresh rate
  • Pixel has the best camera, unless you use a lot of selfies
  • Pixel has the smallest screen, the other two are 6.5"
  • S20FE and 8T both use under display fingerprint readers, Pixel uses a physical one
  • S20FE has expandable storage, the other two don't
  • 8T has the fastest charging, followed by S20FE, Pixel comes in dead last

If you don't want a large screen, Pixel wins.

If you want the bigger screen, I'd go with the Samsung.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

the 8t/S20 (FE?) outclasses the pixel 5 in most respects. The only reason why I'd personally go pixel 5 would be for an offical ip rating, or the camera software which can do farily crazy things, like adjust the focus of photos after they're taken. The s20 itself is 700 euros, so do you mean the s20 FE? Anyways, I'd go with the 8t or FE for sure, but I reccomend you do a little more research. The 8t will have.... 2 years of software support I beileve, the s20FE 3. 

It's not years, it's 3 updates. So this year counts as one with the update in the fall, then two more after that.

Most people would think of that as two years.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not years, it's 3 updates. So this year counts as one with the update in the fall, then two more after that.

Most people would think of that as two years.

Well, It just so happens that I recently made three posts on a related topic, partially asking about the support period of the s20fe- two of which you also responded to, and I got the same answer from several different people: three years, three years, three years, and sent sources for that. Are you right? Yes. But seriously man? Would've been great to see you correct other people earlier, when I asked about it.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

34 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Well, It just so happens that I recently made three posts on a related topic, partially asking about the support period of the s20fe- two of which you also responded to, and I got the same answer from several different people: three years, three years, three years, and sent sources for that. Are you right? Yes. But seriously man? Would've been great to see you correct other people earlier, when I asked about it.

Probably didn't see it. I read the posts up to when I post, fix what I see, and move on.

At the end of the day though, it's entirely on you to look into things yourself. It's no one's fault if you don't do your own research. A simple Google search turns this up:

Samsung will now support select Galaxy devices for 3 generations of Android OS upgrades

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-raises-the-bar-for-mobile-experience-innovation-committing-to-three-generations-of-android-os-upgrades

Straight from the horses mouth.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

You're looking at the FE for the S20, yes?

Depends what you ultimately want.

• S20FE, 8T both have the SD865, but the Pixel has the SD765G
  • S20FE and 8T have a higher refresh rate
  • Pixel has the best camera, unless you use a lot of selfies
  • Pixel has the smallest screen, the other two are 6.5"
  • S20FE and 8T both use under display fingerprint readers, Pixel uses a physical one
  • S20FE has expandable storage, the other two don't
  • 8T has the fastest charging, followed by S20FE, Pixel comes in dead last

If you don't want a large screen, Pixel wins.

If you want the bigger screen, I'd go with the Samsung.

The mid-range processor in the Pixel is a real pain considering the competition, Oxygen OS, the high refresh rate and the fantastic charging capabilities of the OnePlus really draw me to it however the camera and the small things that should be just standard like reverse charging and IP68 ratings really make the OnePlus a marmite type of phone, the camera is particularly inexcusable especially after the issue of the camera in the Nord and previous flagship models. The Samsung really offers the mid-range of everything, good screen, decent camera, although the pixel still wins in this regard. The flagship processor and the decent charging and battery performance make it the best all rounder. I have always liked the pixel and to be honest it was the one I was going for before all the details came out, now I am not so sure...

34 minutes ago, straightchase said:

The mid-range processor in the Pixel is a real pain considering the competition, Oxygen OS, the high refresh rate and the fantastic charging capabilities of the OnePlus really draw me to it however the camera and the small things that should be just standard like reverse charging and IP68 ratings really make the OnePlus a marmite type of phone, the camera is particularly inexcusable especially after the issue of the camera in the Nord and previous flagship models. The Samsung really offers the mid-range of everything, good screen, decent camera, although the pixel still wins in this regard. The flagship processor and the decent charging and battery performance make it the best all rounder. I have always liked the pixel and to be honest it was the one I was going for before all the details came out, now I am not so sure...

Ehhhh. It's not really so cut and dry. While the OnePlus doesn't have an IP certification, their phones do all have seals, and they're all tested for water ingress. IP ratings cost $15 - $20 per device, so to keep the price lower OnePlus doesn't put it through official certification tests. As for the SoC, unless you're gaming with the best games out, you're pretty unlikely to notice the difference unless you're using the devices side by side. The charging in the OnePlus is impressive, but 30w charging is still awfully fast.

The Pixel just doesn't seem worth it for the cost. Unless you really want their camera. Interestingly, MrWhosTheBoss compared the two and the 8T camera trades blows with the Pixel in a lot of circumstances. I'd wait for the S20 FE 5G to go on sale though, perhaps closer to Christmas. You don't want the 4G version.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Ehhhh. It's not really so cut and dry. While the OnePlus doesn't have an IP certification, their phones do all have seals, and they're all tested for water ingress. IP ratings cost $15 - $20 per device, so to keep the price lower OnePlus doesn't put it through official certification tests. As for the SoC, unless you're gaming with the best games out, you're pretty unlikely to notice the difference unless you're using the devices side by side. The charging in the OnePlus is impressive, but 30w charging is still awfully fast.

The Pixel just doesn't seem worth it for the cost. Unless you really want their camera. Interestingly, MrWhosTheBoss compared the two and the 8T camera trades blows with the Pixel in a lot of circumstances. I'd wait for the S20 FE 5G to go on sale though, perhaps closer to Christmas. You don't want the 4G version.

Aye the MrWhoseTheBoss video came into my YouTube feed earlier and on that video the cameras seem much more similar in performance. As I am from the UK where I can get the 8T for £549 it seems a way better value especially considering I think I can apply for a further 10% off which would take it below £500. At this price the Pixel shouldn't even be considered a contender.

2 minutes ago, straightchase said:

Aye the MrWhoseTheBoss video came into my YouTube feed earlier and on that video the cameras seem much more similar in performance. As I am from the UK where I can get the 8T for £549 it seems a way better value especially considering I think I can apply for a further 10% off which would take it below £500. At this price the Pixel shouldn't even be considered a contender.

Haha, yeah if you can get it for 500 it's pretty much a no brainer.

Personally I'm kind of curious about the Nord phone they're bringing to NA. I have a month to decide what my next phone will be, so we shall see.
Right now I'm leaning S20 FE, though there's an excellent discount on the V60.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Haha, yeah if you can get it for 500 it's pretty much a no brainer.

Personally I'm kind of curious about the Nord phone they're bringing to NA. I have a month to decide what my next phone will be, so we shall see.
Right now I'm leaning S20 FE, though there's an excellent discount on the V60.

The One UI that samsung uses is quite a bit heavier than Oxygen OS or the simple android that the Pixel uses but all in all its been great. My s9 is still acceptably fast just the battery is ruined and the camera is garbage. As for the Nord, its priced at £379 so I would rather pay the extra hundred quid for the 8T and the camera reviews for that device haven't been great, although that may have been fixed in updates since its release. As for the LG V60, I would personally skip it, unless the has an advantage without the second screen attached which from the little research I have done about it since its not available in the UK, it seems pretty unremarkable and frankly looks a little silly. 

36 minutes ago, straightchase said:

The One UI that samsung uses is quite a bit heavier than Oxygen OS or the simple android that the Pixel uses but all in all its been great. My s9 is still acceptably fast just the battery is ruined and the camera is garbage. As for the Nord, its priced at £379 so I would rather pay the extra hundred quid for the 8T and the camera reviews for that device haven't been great, although that may have been fixed in updates since its release. As for the LG V60, I would personally skip it, unless the has an advantage without the second screen attached which from the little research I have done about it since its not available in the UK, it seems pretty unremarkable and frankly looks a little silly. 

Yeah, I find it usually has more usefulness though. It's been a while since I used a Google phone, but the lack of features baked into the OS made it less pleasant. 

The V60 has outstanding battery life, better than most phones. It also has a large screen, and on contract is only $25/mo plus they include a free set of LG Tone earbuds that I could sell for $100. The extra screen would be useful at home but I'd never take it out. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler