Noob question: How do I "empty" an SSD?

Joduko

I'm getting a new 500gb m.2 NVMe SSD for a new build to replace my aging 250gb SATA 2.5'' SSD.

I've gotten all of the stuff I want off the 2.5'' SSD and I want to clear the drive so it's like new basically since I'm going to reinstall windows from a USB onto the NVMe drive.

How do I remove all data from a 2.5'' SSD?

Just now, Damprol said:

I'm getting a new 500gb m.2 NVMe SSD for a new build to replace my aging 250gb SATA 2.5'' SSD.

I've gotten all of the stuff I want off the 2.5'' SSD and I want to clear the drive so it's like new basically since I'm going to reinstall windows from a USB onto the NVMe drive.

When you are in the windows installer, if you select custom installation to choose what drive to install on, it should allow you to delete and format partitions from the menu where you select the drive. Just do that to the old drive before you select to install on the new one.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, Damprol said:

Given that you are doing a new build, when you are installing Windows, it will show an option to select which drive to boot into, just select the 250 gig drive and hit delete/format

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

Just now, Damprol said:

I'm getting a new 500gb m.2 NVMe SSD for a new build to replace my aging 250gb SATA 2.5'' SSD. I've gotten all of the stuff I want off the 2.5'' SSD and I want to clear the drive so it's like new basically since I'm going to reinstall windows from a USB onto the NVMe drive.

Once you have Windows installed, you can go to Explorer, right click the drive and press format.

Of course, ensure you are choosing the correct drive, since formatting will completely empty the drive; which you obviously don't want to do with a drive where the data on it matters.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Damprol said:

Once you install Windows on your new drive and move any data you need over from the old one, you can format it by using the program called diskmgmt.msc.

Use Disk Management.

Right click the Windows icon, select Disk Management...

13 minutes ago, Damprol said:

Don't. Keep it for a week or two, you might get into trouble with the new install then you just boot to it.

After you certain everything is ok, then you can delete it.

Or ,as i usually did, delete everything but the windows files, so i can use it as a second drive and backup boot in the future.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w