850W PSU Recommendations?

Bouncewasp

Hi all,

I currently have an EVGA 80+ white PSU which has been ample for my OC'd 2600 and rx570 but I'm likely to upgrade to a 5900x and either rx6900xt or a 3080 so I'm thinking of upgrading to an 850W in preparedness.

I'd like modular or semi modular (I use cable extensions so I'm not fussed if the ATX cable is not modular as other than losing a bit of cable management space it won't affect anything else).

Now PSUs are not really the most exciting component to buy, but I've been drawn to the ROG Thor 850W which has a bit of RGB built in (and would sit nicely with my x570-e Strix mobo) and also an OLED screen. My case has a psu cover with cutout for PSU which I've currently blocked with a bit of black acrylic.

I guess my questions are:

1. Am I better saving the best part of £100 and getting a cheaper 80+ rated PSU as it wont really make any odds functionality wise?

2. Anyone got direct experience of the ROG Thor?

3. Any other suggestions for an 850W with a bit of jazz for the cutout in my case?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Dont pay for a Gaming Sticker on the PSU

RM850x

Done.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

8 minutes ago, Bouncewasp said:

1. Am I better saving the best part of £100 and getting a cheaper 80+ rated PSU as it wont really make any odds functionality wise?

The efficiency rating tells nothing about a PSU's actual quality.

8 minutes ago, Bouncewasp said:

2. Anyone got direct experience of the ROG Thor?

The Thor 850W is based off of Seasonic's Focus PX iirc - you're just getting a better fan and RGB. 

Also, I wouldn't really consider the OLED screen that much of a plus, considering you can get more detailed digital monitoring with Corsair's "i" series of PSUs (RMi, HXi, AXi) without a screen attached to them that'll likely fail in a few years.

10 minutes ago, Bouncewasp said:

3. Any other suggestions for an 850W with a bit of jazz for the cutout in my case?

What's your budget for the PSU?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Thanks all for the quick replies! I agree I dont want to get suckered in too much but can't help myself - I have been looking at the corsair PSUs as they often come up as recommended generally.

Didnt realise the i series allows for software monitoring - will take a look on their site - thanks!

TT would he a good option to satisfy my slight OCD as my case is TT C35, bot that it makes any fucntional difference at all haha...

Budget is likely up to the £200 mark, although I'm having to justify it to myself, I'd me more comfortable at £100 or a bit over if I'm honest?

5 minutes ago, Bouncewasp said:

Thanks all for the quick replies! I agree I dont want to get suckered in too much but can't help myself - I have been looking at the corsair PSUs as they often come up as recommended generally.

Didnt realise the i series allows for software monitoring - will take a look on their site - thanks!

TT would he a good option to satisfy my slight OCD as my case is TT C35, bot that it makes any fucntional difference at all haha...

Budget is likely up to the £200 mark, although I'm having to justify it to myself, I'd me more comfortable at £100 or a bit over if I'm honest?

Anything Tier A gold.