Which motherboard should I get?

I'm putting my first PC together, I went motherboard and ram shopping since the cpu's aren't available yet, 

I was planning to get the asrock steel legend b550m but the shop owner recommended I take the Asus tuf b550m plus he says it's quality is much better for an extra $10, the asrock sells for $224.90(sgd) 

Which should I get? 

Recommendations please. 

Watching isekai anime makes me wish that I could disappear into another world. 

Favorite anime : that time i got reincarnated as a slime 

the tuf is indeed better, but the steel legend is still good.

what cpu are you planning to get?

for a ryzen 5-7, the steel legend is enough.

for a ryzen 9, go with the asus

If you don't want to spend the extra $10, I'd look for a B550M Bazooka instead of the Steel Legend if you're limited to going with mATX.

If you're not limited to mATX, how much can you get a B550-A Pro compared to the TUF and other boards mentioned here?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I don't know your use case so I will add my cents more general. 

Asus B550m tuf wifi: 

+ Great board with good features, rgb controller support single led acsess (but not in Asus software). Bios Flashback 

- The pcie 16x placement (in slot 2) is very limiting in many mATX cases. The graphics card may be to close to the bottom of the case and suffecate the GPU. Card in a 1x slot limit 4x slot to 2x (for non wifi version that is only on the second 1x)

Msi B550m mortar WiFi 

+ Also great board, better 16x GPU placement (at slot 1). Bios Flashback 

- few usb ports. The second 16x slot (4x electrical) disable the second m.2. that 4x slot is the one most likely to be the only one available if one need a usb card because of the few usb ports. 

Asrock b550m steel legend

+ 16x placement in slot 1, 4x slot allways full Speed but with second m.2 limited to 2x 

- wifi is an addon. Slighty worse vrm than the other two (but still very good). No bios Flashback.

For me the AsRock b550m steel legend the one I'm probably getting due to my need for usb 3 (5gbit) ports which the MSI do not have and the Asus board place the GPU to close to the bottom in my case. 

So it is up to you. According to my research all boards are really good but all have their quirks. What is best for you is up to your use case. 

Had the Asus board have the 16x slot in slot 1 I think it would have been the best mATX board...maybe eben the best b550 board overall, but no they hade to ruin it with the 16x placement 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:15 PM, boggy77 said:

the tuf is indeed better, but the steel legend is still good.

what cpu are you planning to get?

for a ryzen 5-7, the steel legend is enough.

for a ryzen 9, go with the asus

I'm pre-ordering an Ryzen R5 5600x.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:19 PM, Mateyyy said:

If you don't want to spend the extra $10, I'd look for a B550M Bazooka instead of the Steel Legend if you're limited to going with mATX.

If you're not limited to mATX, how much can you get a B550-A Pro compared to the TUF and other boards mentioned here?

The $10 isn't the problem, I'm looking to use the pc for maybe 5-7 yrs so I'm looking towards quality. 

On 10/14/2020 at 12:28 AM, infigo said:

I don't know your use case so I will add my cents more general. 

Asus B550m tuf wifi: 

+ Great board with good features, rgb controller support single led acsess (but not in Asus software). Bios Flashback 

- The pcie 16x placement (in slot 2) is very limiting in many mATX cases. The graphics card may be to close to the bottom of the case and suffecate the GPU. Card in a 1x slot limit 4x slot to 2x (for non wifi version that is only on the second 1x)

Msi B550m mortar WiFi 

+ Also great board, better 16x GPU placement (at slot 1). Bios Flashback 

- few usb ports. The second 16x slot (4x electrical) disable the second m.2. that 4x slot is the one most likely to be the only one available if one need a usb card because of the few usb ports. 

Asrock b550m steel legend

+ 16x placement in slot 1, 4x slot allways full Speed but with second m.2 limited to 2x 

- wifi is an addon. Slighty worse vrm than the other two (but still very good). No bios Flashback.

For me the AsRock b550m steel legend the one I'm probably getting due to my need for usb 3 (5gbit) ports which the MSI do not have and the Asus board place the GPU to close to the bottom in my case. 

So it is up to you. According to my research all boards are really good but all have their quirks. What is best for you is up to your use case. 

Had the Asus board have the 16x slot in slot 1 I think it would have been the best mATX board...maybe eben the best b550 board overall, but no they hade to ruin it with the 16x placement 

My uses are as stated

Streaming, light video editing (for YouTube), gaming and basic workload (mostly emails and video conference) 

12 hours ago, AnimeFreeFan said:

My uses are as stated

Streaming, light video editing (for YouTube), gaming and basic workload (mostly emails and video conference) 

Then the only thing you should think of is

Do you ever want to add a capture card. 

If so, if you want a second m.2 or 5 type usb 3 ports is not enough for you then dont choose MSI

If your GPU is more than 2 slots (2.5 slots is quite common today) then don't choose the asus. 

If none of that is a issue for you then you can choose any the 3

10 hours ago, infigo said:

Then the only thing you should think of is

Do you ever want to add a capture card. 

If so, if you want a second m.2 or 5 type usb 3 ports is not enough for you then dont choose MSI

If your GPU is more than 2 slots (2.5 slots is quite common today) then don't choose the asus. 

If none of that is a issue for you then you can choose any the 3

I'm probably going to get the rtx 3070 unless amd has something like nvenc, which I think will be a dual slot card.

Do I need a capture card to record my monitor? 

Sorry still new to making video on pc. 

2 hours ago, AnimeFreeFan said:

I'm probably going to get the rtx 3070 unless amd has something like nvenc, which I think will be a dual slot card.

Do I need a capture card to record my monitor? 

Sorry still new to making video on pc. 

If you only recording your game or desktop from your pc then the nvenc, or other encoder is used and you won't need a capture card. If you want to record the output from an console or external camera that uses hdmi then you might want a capture card. 

It seems like you don't need one and then you can choose whatever board you like, but keep in mind that the MSI have few usb 3 ports 

9 hours ago, infigo said:

If you only recording your game or desktop from your pc then the nvenc, or other encoder is used and you won't need a capture card. If you want to record the output from an console or external camera that uses hdmi then you might want a capture card. 

It seems like you don't need one and then you can choose whatever board you like, but keep in mind that the MSI have few usb 3 ports 

Will do thanks.