Visual difference between 60hz and 144hz

GeneralGusher

Hey

i am going to switch from a 60hz monitor to a 144 hz monitor but ever since my school has started I’ve started to loose interest in video games. I was wondering if I should get either a 24 hz 144hz monitor or a 60-75hz monitor that is bigger for around the same price range of 150-200. I play video games occasionally but not 24/7. Does anyone know if on a 144hz monitor is there any significant change while just using it normally or are the big changes from 60 to 144 hertz monitors only noticeable while gaming? I want to make the best choice so I will take any advice I can get.

As this topic leans towards a subjective tone, I personally see a difference between 60hz and 144hz. Even 240hz I can see a difference there (Just go and look at a high end gaming laptop with a high refresh rate panel...with some nearing 300hz). The game feels more fluid so to speak at 144hz over 60hz. The cursor on the desktop/web browsing don't seem jittery as well as scrolling up and down pages at a constant rate. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Haven't tried 240Hz monitor. But from 60Hz to 144Hz, the improvement of smoothness and responsiveness is very noticeable. There are plenty of reasonably priced 144Hz 24" IPS monitors. You can find AOC 24G2U for $180-190. Which is a very good monitor for both gaming and general use, because the wide colour gamut and fast response.

50 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

As this topic leans towards a subjective tone, I personally see a difference between 60hz and 144hz. Even 240hz I can see a difference there (Just go and look at a high end gaming laptop with a high refresh rate panel...with some nearing 300hz). The game feels more fluid so to speak at 144hz over 60hz. The cursor on the desktop/web browsing don't seem jittery as well as scrolling up and down pages at a constant rate. 

18 minutes ago, Deli said:

Haven't tried 240Hz monitor. But from 60Hz to 144Hz, the improvement of smoothness and responsiveness is very noticeable. There are plenty of reasonably priced 144Hz 24" IPS monitors. You can find AOC 24G2U for $180-190. Which is a very good monitor for both gaming and general use, because the wide colour gamut and fast response.

thanks guys! So do you guys recommend for me to get a 144hz monitor even though I really wont be gaming much?

3 minutes ago, GeneralGusher said:

thanks guys! So do you guys recommend for me to get a 144hz monitor even though I really wont be gaming much?

If you think $180 isn't too much for a 24" monitor. I say get one.

13 minutes ago, Deli said:

If you think $180 isn't too much for a 24" monitor. I say get one.

alright thanks :)

Definetly worth it imo, even for light gaming use.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

Hey

i am going to switch from a 60hz monitor to a 144 hz monitor but ever since my school has started I’ve started to loose interest in video games. I was wondering if I should get either a 24 hz 144hz monitor or a 60-75hz monitor that is bigger for around the same price range of 150-200. I play video games occasionally but not 24/7. Does anyone know if on a 144hz monitor is there any significant change while just using it normally or are the big changes from 60 to 144 hertz monitors only noticeable while gaming? I want to make the best choice so I will take any advice I can get.

So most stuff is not like game in which you generate the frams, most of the stuff (like vids, zoom call and stuff like that) has a built in frame rate, AKA a youtube video can only display either 24,30,50 or 60 frames per second (depends on the vid), zoom calls work in 30 FPS......

Wait what you like school more than games?! 

Anyways, get 144Hz for sure. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

24 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Wait what you like school more than games?! 

Anyways, get 144Hz for sure. 

Nah I don’t like school but it’s just I’ve kinda lost interest in most of them now. Thanks tho looks like most people are saying to get 144 hz so that’s what I’ll most likely do 

48 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

So most stuff is not like game in which you generate the frams, most of the stuff (like vids, zoom call and stuff like that) has a built in frame rate, AKA a youtube video can only display either 24,30,50 or 60 frames per second (depends on the vid), zoom calls work in 30 FPS......

So does that mean there is no point of 144?

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Definetly worth it imo, even for light gaming use.

Alright thanks