Computer as a Plex Server, is Raid necessary?

Hi everyone,

I have a computer that I built awhile ago, that I wanted to use for a Plex Server and a Minecraft Server. I currently have an SSD and two 2TB Seagate IronWolf Pro hard drives in my computer. I wanted to set them up for storage of my photos and videos and view them through Plex Server. Originally I had plans to put them in Raid 1 as 2 TB is enough storage and the drives would be redundant. But it's been over a year since I started this project and after reading about things online I have my doubts.

My first question is what is the best option for storing photos and videos with the current system I have?

My second question is if using Raid 1 is the best option, do I just setup the drives as Raid 1 in the BIOS or do I need a software or some kind of caching system using the SSD? Currently the drives are in the computer but haven't been setup. 

Any help is great, I think I'm confused with what to do now.

Thanks in advance!

Raid1 works well if you only need 2TB of space total. Software vs hardware bios Raid doesn't make a huge difference for a file storage array and hardware raid is going to have less problems if you are running windows. Running linux it's less prone to crashes or OS issues with updates so software vs hardware raid there is no difference. 

I wouldn't bother with a caching system unless you are going to actually need the extra speed and will be accessing the same few files all the time. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

No, RAID Is not necessary.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Raid1 works well if you only need 2TB of space total. Software vs hardware bios Raid doesn't make a huge difference for a file storage array and hardware raid is going to have less problems if you are running windows. Running linux it's less prone to crashes or OS issues with updates so software vs hardware raid there is no difference. 

I wouldn't bother with a caching system unless you are going to actually need the extra speed and will be accessing the same few files all the time. 

So what kind of software would I use to run software raid? And I am using Windows at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

No, RAID Is not necessary.  

So what do you recommend the best option if not raid? 

1 hour ago, sailboatking said:

So what do you recommend the best option if not raid? 

RAID1 is just fine. It provides you protection against losing a disk.

If you arent making a "RAID" (that is to say an array of disks as a single logical volume), then your other options is to just use the drives individually. E.g you might have 1 disk dedicated to Movies, the other dedicated to TV Shows and Music. Just keep in mind theres no redundancy, so if you lose a disk, you lose all the data on that drive (unless you have backups). 

If you have 3 disks, then a "RAID5" is a more balanced approach between the 2 when it comes to space efficiency and data integrity.

So with 3 x 2TB disks, you'd have 4TB of space, and 1 drive can fail and you still have all your data, and it's still available. Its a good solution for larger media servers where re-aquiring a few TB's of media can be a big hassle. 

Keep in mind this statement that is made in this subforum all the time. RAID/Parity is not a replacement for backups of any important files. 

It is only a protection measure against a drive failure. It does not protect against physical threats, cryptolocker, viruses, accidental deletion, major corruption, etc...

In most cases its more than enough for just a Plex Server as you can redownload most media, but any other files like important documents, family photos, personal projects, etc you might start to decide to store there, should be backed up elsewhere (cloud, USB dongle, external hdd, another pc, etc...). 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

3 hours ago, sailboatking said:

My first question is what is the best option for storing photos and videos with the current system I have?

RAID is not a backup. Personally I think its more trouble than its worth. Id use the SSD for the OS drive. Use the two hard disks for bulk storage. Maybe put Pictures on one drive and Videos on the other. Plex is very forgiving on where it can pull data from. Hell my Plex server doesn't have bulk storage, I just created my Plex Library on my NAS, my server essentially is used for transcoding. If you want to add redundancy you may want to look in to ZFS. Raid has kinda fallen out of favor and ZFS is taking over. Hopefully someone more knowledgable in ZFS will contribute to this thread as Im not an expert at all. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

26 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

RAID is not a backup. Personally I think its more trouble than its worth. Id use the SSD for the OS drive. Use the two hard disks for bulk storage. Maybe put Pictures on one drive and Videos on the other. Plex is very forgiving on where it can pull data from. Hell my Plex server doesn't have bulk storage, I just created my Plex Library on my NAS, my server essentially is used for transcoding. If you want to add redundancy you may want to look in to ZFS. Raid has kinda fallen out of favor and ZFS is taking over. Hopefully someone more knowledgable in ZFS will contribute to this thread as Im not an expert at all. 

Interesting! thank you for your help, I will look into ZFS!

29 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

RAID1 is just fine. It provides you protection against losing a disk.

If you arent making a "RAID" (that is to say an array of disks as a single logical volume), then your other options is to just use the drives individually. E.g you might have 1 disk dedicated to Movies, the other dedicated to TV Shows and Music. Just keep in mind theres no redundancy, so if you lose a disk, you lose all the data on that drive (unless you have backups). 

If you have 3 disks, then a "RAID5" is a more balanced approach between the 2 when it comes to space efficiency and data integrity.

So with 3 x 2TB disks, you'd have 4TB of space, and 1 drive can fail and you still have all your data, and it's still available. Its a good solution for larger media servers where re-aquiring a few TB's of media can be a big hassle. 

Keep in mind this statement that is made in this subforum all the time. RAID/Parity is not a replacement for backups of any important files. 

It is only a protection measure against a drive failure. It does not protect against physical threats, cryptolocker, viruses, accidental deletion, major corruption, etc...

In most cases its more than enough for just a Plex Server as you can redownload most media, but any other files like important documents, family photos, personal projects, etc you might start to decide to store there, should be backed up elsewhere (cloud, USB dongle, external hdd, another pc, etc...). 

Thank you so much for your help! I will look into doing a RAID1 setup or ZFS, as for RAID1 will I need a software to set it up or can I just set it up through the motherboard's bios?

2 hours ago, sailboatking said:

So what kind of software would I use to run software raid? And I am using Windows at the moment.

Windows has built in raid software as part of it's "storage pools" settings 

As many people on here I'm in the 'don't bother with raid' mentality and backups are far more useful. 

Dimio's Dsyncronize program can even automate this by duplicating folders so you don't even have to think about backing up. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

23 hours ago, sailboatking said:

Hi everyone,

I have a computer that I built awhile ago, that I wanted to use for a Plex Server and a Minecraft Server. I currently have an SSD and two 2TB Seagate IronWolf Pro hard drives in my computer. I wanted to set them up for storage of my photos and videos and view them through Plex Server. Originally I had plans to put them in Raid 1 as 2 TB is enough storage and the drives would be redundant. But it's been over a year since I started this project and after reading about things online I have my doubts.

My second question is if using Raid 1 is the best option, do I just setup the drives as Raid 1 in the BIOS or do I need a software or some kind of caching system using the SSD? Currently the drives are in the computer but haven't been setup. 

Any help is great, I think I'm confused with what to do now.

Thanks in advance!

In short, no you don't need RAID to run Plex.

But in reality there is no simple answer to that. 

RAID can give you two things, redundancy and increased access speed. Redundancy will help protect you against a single drive failure and the increased access speed is more of an issue when you have a Plex server with a lot of clients feeding off it.

At a minimum I'd recommend a dual drive RAID 1 though as it will give you some protection against a single drive failure wiping out your library.

The caching issue can be address in a number of ways. An SSD or NVMe, or by adding additional RAM and using a RAMdisk (this is my recommended way of handling transcoding cache). The advantage of using a RAMdisk is it will have as good or more likely better performance and it won't wear out your SSD or NVMe over time. Once its setup it basically becomes maintenance free and you can just forget about it.