Will I be able to OC a 3600 to a stable 4ghz with the wraith prism?

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,
2 minutes ago, MTrencovski said:

So basically if I let the built in boost do it’s thing we are gonna be fine with the prism?

Yeah. It's not necessarily ideal, but it'll do the job.

Friend is making a pc using a 3600 but wants to OC it, I’ve heard the stock cooler doesn’t cut it but would the wraith prism be able to manage it at around 4ghz? Thanks to all that respond 

If you're going to replace the cooler, get something better than the prism.

A fixed 4 GHz wont be an overclock as even at stock it'll turbo above that if conditions allow. You can try turning on PBO but I'd avoid fixed clock "overclocks" on Zen 2 and newer CPUs. The built in turbo is way smarter than that and what you gain in one area you will lose in another.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

If you're going to replace the cooler, get something better than the prism.

A fixed 4 GHz wont be an overclock as even at stock it'll turbo above that if conditions allow. You can try turning on PBO but I'd avoid fixed clock "overclocks" on Zen 2 and newer CPUs. The built in turbo is way smarter than that and what you gain in one area you will lose in another.

I have one spare that I’m gonna give to him we are on a really tight budget you think we can squeeze it to at least 3.8ghz?

1 minute ago, MTrencovski said:

I have one spare that I’m gonna give to him we are on a really tight budget you think we can squeeze it to at least 3.8ghz?

Let the built in boost do its job. Look at the clocks. You're going to be in that ball park anyway without going through the extra effort of tinkering.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Let the built in boost do its job. Look at the clocks. You're going to be in that ball park anyway without going through the extra effort of tinkering.

So basically if I let the built in boost do it’s thing we are gonna be fine with the prism?

2 minutes ago, MTrencovski said:

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 minutes ago, porina said:

Thank you

15 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

just for reference, how would I turn on the built in turbo? What would it be in the BIOS 

27 minutes ago, MTrencovski said:

just for reference, how would I turn on the built in turbo? What would it be in the BIOS 

It does it by default. You don't need to change anything.

Just now, porina said:

It does it by default. You don't need to change anything.

ok thanks