Down the rabbit hole

BartJY

Hi Folks,

Thought it was about time to start a home NAS. Wow, what a lot of stuff to learn. FreeNAS seems to be out for me because my PC doesn't support ECC memory. UnRaid costs more than I want to spend, What I want to know is what basic free NAS software is out there, and which are good and reliable. And the most important, easy to learn and set up. And doesn't require ECC memory.

Thanks

Bart

you can go with bear metal linux or openmediavault

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

On 10/12/2020 at 3:37 PM, BartJY said:

FreeNAS seems to be out for me because my PC doesn't support ECC memory.

Its only recommended not required. Wast majority of consumer NAS units also run on non-ECC RAM so its not that big of a deal if your PC doesnt have it.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Its only recommended not required. Wast majority of consumer NAS units also run on non-ECC RAM so its not that big of a deal if your PC doesnt have it.

Can confirm, currently run my FreeNAS on a 9700K + 16GB of GSkill Ripjaw. FreeNAS recommends certain things but it's actually very flexible.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Whom said:

Can confirm, currently run my FreeNAS on a 9700K + 16GB of GSkill Ripjaw. FreeNAS recommends certain things but it's actually very flexible.

They strongly recommend it to avoid data damaged in RAM silently getting onto the disk.  The chance of that is pretty slim though. Related video (its a bit old):