Upgrade path concerns

Sunking1978

Hi,

Long time fan of Linus, All the way back to Ncix, when i lived in Alberta.

I have built a PC like 3 years ago but im considering buying a RTX 3080, but concerned about if my PC will run it.

I have this in my pc:

Fatal1ty Z87 Killer motherboard

i7 4770 K CPU

32 GB DDR

Geforce 780 GTX

Hi fi Audio sound card PCI x 1

1200 W Modular power supply from Thermaltake

So my question is: Do i just need to buy the Rtx 3080 and im golden, or would my mobo/cpu bottleneck my brand new GPU?

Please just answer my question, dont come with suggestions how i can improve my system, thats not why im asking.

Its a simple yes/no question. Although if no, why?

A 4770k will most likely bottleneck your RTX 3080 in certain games at least and depending on the resolution you are playing at will vary your mileage more. I know for me, I had a 4790k and a GTX 1070 running a 1440 144hz monitor and it was still achievable if you overclock but my 1070 wasn't powerful enough for high textures & high FPS. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Well the 780 GTX had some insane ram(4 and 8 GB DDR5) so i still use it and on my 32" IPS monitor i play Doom Eternal with High everything and no lag or ghosting at all. It uses the same GPU as the Nvidia Titan, which is nuts. Its basically a little brother of the Titan as the Titan is unlocked when 780 is locked.

20 minutes ago, Sunking1978 said:

Hi,

Long time fan of Linus, All the way back to Ncix, when i lived in Alberta.

I have built a PC like 3 years ago but im considering buying a RTX 3080, but concerned about if my PC will run it.

I have this in my pc:

Fatal1ty Z87 Killer motherboard

i7 4770 K CPU

32 GB DDR

Geforce 780 GTX

Hi fi Audio sound card PCI x 1

1200 W Modular power supply from Thermaltake

So my question is: Do i just need to buy the Rtx 3080 and im golden, or would my mobo/cpu bottleneck my brand new GPU?

Please just answer my question, dont come with suggestions how i can improve my system, thats not why im asking.

Its a simple yes/no question. Although if no, why?

A 3080 would make the system massively lopsided, maybe sell you current system and use the total budget to have a complete overhaul to a more modern platform? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

You could definitely just get the 3080. It might bottleneck in some situations, but you will always have a bottleneck somewhere, so that is normal and not to be worried about.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Well, unlike the US, im in Norway and reselling your system here is a massive hassle. Most ppl tend to use it until it tanks completely. Which has led to this post.

Almost everything here is covered by warranty up to 5 whopping years, from anywhere on the planet. So, you can see the headache of reselling.

Try to explain to Apple Support in the US, that you bought it in Norway, and thusly, you have 5 whopping years to whine about the product they basically stopped supporting at year 3 or 4.

Depends on the resolution you're playing. If it's 1440p and up, probably not by much.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Just buy the 3080. There will always be a bottleneck between your gpu and cpu, no matter how much you upgrade or spend on it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Not worthy to sell it. Just buy a 500w PSU to use the over kill 1200w for the new build. Keep the pc under TV the for fun, like Netflix and few games.

3080 will be bottlenecked, if you will try to play demanding games, if you won't play demanding games, don't bother upgrade anyway

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv