SPDIF static noise with Realtek driver but not with Windows default driver

Tanaz
Go to solution Solved by skimmilk5,

The hardware's still the same, so I don't really think you'd be losing any quality. Onboard audio is still onboard audio, and I can't say that even great motherboard audio is that much different than mediocre onboard audio. You won't really see that much of an improvement until you jump up several hundred dollars in dedicated audio hardware, and even then (sorry audiophiles reading this), it doesn't make that much of a difference. You have to have a really discerning ear. Personally, I hate Realtek drivers too and just use what's bundled in Windows.

Running a Windows 10 system with ASUS X570 TUF board and today I noticed static coming off of my speakers (Logitech Z906) that are connected via optical cable. I've never noticed that before and I'm 99% sure it appeared out of nowhere today. I was hoping it's not a  hardware issue as I did replace my CPU cooler and I added an SSD today so my first thoughts were that I could've shorted something or damaged the board somehow. Because I've had problems with Realtek drivers before like for example the driver just deciding not to work anymore randomly after a reboot and needeing a reinstall I decided to just uninstall it and see if the windows default driver would have this issue. And the answer is no. No static noise and no issues whatsoever. So my question is - is there any reason whatsoever to use the Realtek driver and am I losing functionality / quality with the Windows default driver because at this point I'm quite fed up with Realtek's buggy software.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 4080 Super Gaming OC
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

The hardware's still the same, so I don't really think you'd be losing any quality. Onboard audio is still onboard audio, and I can't say that even great motherboard audio is that much different than mediocre onboard audio. You won't really see that much of an improvement until you jump up several hundred dollars in dedicated audio hardware, and even then (sorry audiophiles reading this), it doesn't make that much of a difference. You have to have a really discerning ear. Personally, I hate Realtek drivers too and just use what's bundled in Windows.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

1 minute ago, kimsejin5 said:

Yep I figured. Still can use my speakers at 96000hz and I get DTS when I play a 5.1 movie so there doesn't seem to be any loss of functionality. Thanks!

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 4080 Super Gaming OC
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent