Headphones in the Office

Chap

After talking to a few friends on the topic of headphone choice for the office and the required etiquette, I was wondering what LTT forum members think about or use as their headphone of choice in the office.

I ask specifically about the office as I and many others work in environments where closed back are great for isolation and not disturbing others but they cut out almost to much background noise as you are unable to hear when people are trying to get your attention.  Open back headphones have the reverse effect where everyone can hear your music and in a open concept office that is not the best option.

My personal experience is that my ath m50's are great for home use but at the office they block out sound way to much and having coworkers resort to hand gestures or throwing office supplies gets old pretty fast so I end up resorting to my horrible apple ear buds.

So what do you guys and girls use when you want decent audio quality but don't want to shut out the world or broadcast your music to those around you?

I wouldn't have much experience in a workplace but I like my HD 439. They are closed and don't leak much sound. Also the isolation is also good. I have to that my headphone collection is limited so you may want to get more than just my opinion.

Quote me to get a reply!

Closed, but non-isolating is the best in my experience. They wont leak sound to others, but will still allow you to hear some things going on around you.

I like my HD 439... Also the isolation is also good

That's not my experience.  :unsure:

That's not my experience.  :unsure:

For me it is blocked out most of the noise from my laptop. Only the high pitch noise seem to get though. Sounds at a distance are also muffled. When listening to music they cancel all if not most sound.

Quote me to get a reply!

i was tempted to pick up a pair of grado sr60i but after trying a friends, they leak a ton of sound

i was tempted to pick up a pair of grado sr60i but after trying a friends, they leak a ton of sound

They are very open headphones.

Quote me to get a reply!

Have you thought about using IEMs?

I work in IT support, and I just use IEMs, and just have one of them in. sadly, it does sort of ruin some of the music I listen to, which usually has one guitar for left, and one for right.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I work in IT support, and I just use IEMs, and just have one of them in. sadly, it does sort of ruin some of the music I listen to, which usually has one guitar for left, and one for right.

Depending on your device, you can set the audio playback to mono, thats how I get around the issue

Depending on your device, you can set the audio playback to mono, thats how I get around the issue

haven't found anything for spotify and the onboard audio on the laptop at work, but I'm probably not looking hard enough.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I use my srh940s for working on the computer at school, In my experience you kinda have to choose you hearing nothing people say and them hearing everything you are listening to if you listen at a decent volume, not much of a middle ground IMHO