Upgrading!

Slight43

Ok, here it goes. Warning I tend to ramble, so I'll try to get straight to the point. 

As the title says, I'm finally gonna upgrade. I really don't like that the cpu I chose and had buyers remorse. 

First, motherboard. I want to overclock, 570 or can a 550 get me where I want to be and save a few bucks?

Also never have I owned a Ryzen chip. I'm getting the impression that (A) they are harder to learn/overclock?  (B) you really don't get much in the way of returns? I'm waiting for the next gen so 5000 series. I bet that won't be easy to answer. But I thought I could get a good enough answer based on previous series.

Would, 6 cores be enough now days? Or bite the bullet and piss off the ole wifey 😂. Was thinking on the level of a R7 3800, but the 5000 equivalent. As they say "Future Proof". 

I really just don't want to jump at the first thing that catches my eye. I want to make a educated purchase this time. So that's why I'm asking questions here. Hoping I could get a good answer!

IMG_20200930_180636962.jpg

You've got an i7 9700K according to your profile. That is fine, don't upgrade that! See how much of an OC you can get out of it tho!

Your build looks good to me, but I know the buyers remorse feeling. Try to put it aside though, you've got a great build!

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

19 minutes ago, Slight43 said:

they are harder to learn/overclock

I wouldn't say harder, but less rewarding. 4.2 GHz is all I get out of my "silver" sample, which actually ends up being better than stock, but not by very much

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Your PC in your profile is perfectly fine. It's barely 2 years old, if that. Only a single generation has come and gone. It is still more than capable today and is still considered "high end". You wouldn't really notice any real advantage to buying a new PC now.

You could easily do another year or two out of it, if not more depending on what you do with it. As such, you're better off not pissing off the "ole wifey" for a pointless upgrade.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Slight43 said:

I'm getting the impression that (A) they are harder to learn/overclock?

Overclocking Ryzen can be as easy, if not easier than Intel (In part due to Ryzen Master). In my opinion it's relatively pointless to daily OC though, just like modern Intel CPU's.

Ryzen does have more things involved once you start going for more advanced OC'ing. This is a plus, not a negative.

This opinion is because:

• Just like Intel, Ryzen CPU's have little headroom with sane voltages. This is a plus, because the CPU performs better in its stock configuration.
  • Most OC's specify a static voltage. Your CPU doesn't get relief from the voltage in idle. This is overcome with offset voltages. (Same as Intel systems.)
  • Memory/Fabric OC'ing is an additional tool to get more performance from Ryzen. You don't have to OC this if you don't want to. Most unintentionally do with high performance memory.
  • Personally I find Ryzen Master easier to use than Intel XTU. Both aren't that difficult.

I'm getting the impression that (B) you really don't get much in the way of returns?

Can you clarify this? Regarding OC's or RMA's? OC's can refer to the first point. RMA's, Both Intel and AMD will replace your CPU if it doesn't work.

Would, 6 cores be enough now days?

For desktop and gaming, 6 cores is plenty, and considered enthusiast grade.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

29 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Your PC in your profile is perfectly fine. It's barely 2 years old, if that. Only a single generation has come and gone. It is still more than capable today and is still considered "high end". You wouldn't really notice any real advantage to buying a new PC now.

You could easily do another year or two out of it, if not more depending on what you do with it. As such, you're better off not pissing off the "ole wifey" for a pointless upgrade.

Agree. Considering it's still perfectly fine, I think if he wants to upgrade he should skip this generation and go for the AM5 platform.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Awesome, thanks for the great advice. The other forum I was using was just a bunch of people being rude. So thank you very very much. 

Totally forgot when I made this account months ago I added my computer stats. I had to update it.

I've really been having so much fun tinkering learning how to overclock. I guess my reasoning behind upgrading would be more for I don't want to stop tinkering. But at the same time if I accidently put the wrong number on vcore or something like that. Poof there goes my cpu. So having a secondary computer, I wouldn't be afraid to push the limits!

There's no such thing as future-proofing, so get that phrase out of your vocab asap ;)

As others have said, I'd really just wait for AM5 given your current computer spec. Then you can also get DDR5.

Welcome to the forum!

Awesome, thanks for the great advice. The other forum I was using was just a bunch of people being rude. So thank you very very much. 

Totally forgot when I made this account months ago I added my computer stats. I had to update it.

I've really been having so much fun tinkering learning how to overclock. I guess my reasoning behind upgrading would be more for I don't want to stop tinkering. But at the same time if I accidently put the wrong number on vcore or something like that. Poof there goes my cpu. So having a secondary computer, I wouldn't be afraid to push the limits!

You need to quote people like this for them to see you've replied. You can also tag them like this @Slight43.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

There's no such thing as future-proofing, so get that phrase out of your vocab asap ;)

As others have said, I'd really just wait for AM5 given your current computer spec. Then you can also get DDR5.

Welcome to the forum!

You need to quote people like this for them to see you've replied. You can also tag them like this @Slight43.

First, sorry new to this msg board thing. I apologize. I didn't even think to read the rules. Thanks again for the tips! 

12 minutes ago, Slight43 said:

First, sorry new to this msg board thing. I apologize. I didn't even think to read the rules. Thanks again for the tips! 

Haha, no need to apologize.

When upgrading it's usually best to include the following:

• Complete PC spec
  • Monitor you're using, including resolution and refresh rate
  • What you do with your computer
  • What your goals are performance wise (what you don't like about your current system)

It's the only way you can get useful advice.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red