Intel Rocket Lake 11th gen desktop CPUs confirmed for Q1 2021

porina
25 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

It's not necessarily a bad thing.

Some customers collect components for a long time before final assembly (how you build a top shelf machine with very low income). What this means is that, for example, one might have some DDR4 memory which they'd rather not just throw away, but could still benefit from PCIe 4.

There is a market that will benefit from this kind of launch.

As for the "just go for AMD" response I'm likely to get from that, good luck getting full performance out of 2 of these memory kits with an AMD processor.

I'm not telling anyone to "just go for AMD" until we see some lower-cost SKUs in the Zen 3 family or ridiculous real-world performance that justifies those higher cost CPUs. I'm more than likely just going to buy a B550 board and a 3700X at this point.

Do we know that the 12000-series CPUs will be using DDR5? I thought the roadmap on that was the following generation, the 13000-series in 2022. If 12th-gen will be going to DDR5, then yes, there might be a point to Pointless Lake 2. But there's still probably not much in the way of a compelling argument to buy it over a 10th-gen CPU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.