1080p gaming only build

Optimusgrime

Parts i already own: aorus b450 miniitx mobo, 500gb m.2,(second hand) evga 500w psu, ryzen 3 2300x

Budget gaming only build advice.

Looking to play 1080p at high settings min preferably. 

Advice wanted thanks in advance. 

Parts i'm thinking about getting:

ryzen 5 2600x £138     ccl.co.uk

msi gaming x gtx 1660 super £240     ccl.co.uk

cougar qbx case £45        novatech.co.uk

bequiet pure power11 500w gold psu £70    overclockers.co.uk 

Amd fx 8350,asus sabertooth R2,corsair c70,corsair h100i,palit gtx 580,corsair 8gb vengeance Ram,corsair txm 750.

1 minute ago, Optimusgrime said:

ryzen 5 2600x £138 

I'd recommend a ryzen 3 3100 or 3300X, but the 2600X is also a great choice anyway.

3 minutes ago, Optimusgrime said:

msi gaming x gtx 1660 super £240 

The MSI 1660 SUPER Ventus XS OC or the Zotac Twin Fan both sell for 200£

Otherwise the rest seems to be pretty decent.

12 minutes ago, Optimusgrime said:

won't give you a significant performance boost compared with the 2300x you have already. go for a 3300x instead.

21 minutes ago, Optimusgrime said:

I wouldn't upgrade this at all. The performance difference is not going to be huge unless you're pushing for very high framerates (144Hz+). You can look to spend that money on storage instead, or try to go for a 5600XT/RTX 2060.

Other component choices are solid.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

25 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

won't give you a significant performance boost compared with the 2300x you have already. go for a 3300x instead.

you'll notice a pretty major upgrade in CPU performance going from a 2300x to a 2600x

5 hours ago, Optimusgrime said:

Parts i already own: aorus b450 miniitx mobo, 500gb m.2,(second hand) evga 500w psu, ryzen 3 2300x

Budget gaming only build advice.

Looking to play 1080p at high settings min preferably. 

Advice wanted thanks in advance. 

Parts i'm thinking about getting:

msi gaming x gtx 1660 super £240     ccl.co.uk

cougar qbx case £45        novatech.co.uk

bequiet pure power11 500w gold psu £70    overclockers.co.uk 

If you are only going to game, get an Intel CPU, they are better suited for games

1660 is overkill, what refresh rate is ideal for you? 30 , 45, 60, 120 , 144+?

I have no experience in cases

That psu seems a bit fishy, you should get something like a cooler master, corsair or seasonic PSU

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

I wouldn't upgrade this at all. The performance difference is not going to be huge unless you're pushing for very high framerates (144Hz+). You can look to spend that money on storage instead, or try to go for a 5600XT/RTX 2060.

Other component choices are solid.

sorry did you mean dont upgrade the cpu yeah ? i was thinking might be okay and instead get a 2060/2070 suer just havent got alot of time with this cpu to know if its okay or not really.

Amd fx 8350,asus sabertooth R2,corsair c70,corsair h100i,palit gtx 580,corsair 8gb vengeance Ram,corsair txm 750.

1 hour ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

If you are only going to game, get an Intel CPU, they are better suited for games

That psu seems a bit fishy, you should get something like a cooler master, corsair or seasonic PSU

Note: if you are not going to upgrade your motherboard, you cannot get the ryzen 5

would like to 60 or 120, psu yeah does alittle doesnt it lol, i just fancy something modular bit going to invest in a 650 modular sfx.

on the motherboard front, couldnt i upgrade the bios no? maybe i remember wrongly.:(  

2 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Note: if you are not going to upgrade your motherboard, you cannot get the ryzen 5

What are you even talking about?

The B450 board is perfect for Ryzen 5, there is nothing stopping a Ryzen 5 2600(x) from working on a 400 or 500 series board out of the box. A 300 series board MIGHT need a BIOS update but that's it.

There is nothing fishy about be-quiet PSUs, they are a reputable and well known brand.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What are you even talking about?

The B450 board is perfect for Ryzen 5, there is nothing stopping a Ryzen 5 2600(x) from working on a 400 or 500 series board out of the box. A 300 series board MIGHT need a BIOS update but that's it.

There is nothing fishy about be-quiet PSUs, they are a reputable and well known brand.

oh sorry, i just confused generations because of the number.

again, i'm very sorry

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

oh sorry, i just confused generations because of the number.

again, i'm very sorry

For shame!!!!!!

You'll be shamed!!!!!!!! :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'm running a 2600X on an as rock B450 absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Regarding 2300X vs 2600X I have another PC in the house that was running a 2300x. There were other differences in the components but CPU wise the difference between the two systems was obvious. Hugely noticeable in gaming and benchmarks.

As for GPU you have many options but I would suggest considering a Radeon 5500XT 8GB.

Paired with the Ryzen 5 2600X you'll do 1080p/60fps no problems and some games even 1440p/60fps. It should be cheaper than the 1660 too.

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt/amd-ryzen-5-2600x/

Alternatively an RX590 would also run 1080p / 60fps in most games but between the RX590 and 5500XT I would go for the 5500XT

I would stick with your current parts and get the best GPU you can afford. Then upgrade to one of the new Ryzen chips, which will be announced in 2 days.