AT&T shelving DSL may leave hundreds of thousands hanging by a phone line

I understand it is about business practicality and I don't blame the companies.

These kinds of stories make me worry though and its why I'd gladly pay an extra tax every year for the federal government to foot the bill to run fiber or cable everywhere.

I live in a rural area and I'm always worried the time will come when I won't have any service available to me.

The fastest service I have available now is dsl at 1.5 Mbps down and .5 Mbps up.

Cable has been about one mile from my house for like twenty years and I don't think it will ever come to me.

Plus I live in a geographical black hole cell wise and can't actually get service at my house. 😄

I can't make or receive a cell calls but sometimes in the winter I get one bar sporadically.

When the leaves are off the trees and it is a calm day. 🥴

So then I can get texts but in the summer, forget it.

Their rep is that satellite sucks for internet so I don't want it because I like to game.

I'm hoping this new satellite stuff I've been hearing about will be a game changer though for all the people like me who live in rural places. 

I'm so jealous when people talk about their internet speeds. 😄

On 10/6/2020 at 8:14 AM, sof006 said:

In the UK we're in the period of trying to phase out VDSL technology in favour of "ultra fast" which in other words is true fibre, none of that FTTC rubbish. I am currently on a VDSL2 package and its decent and would consider myself to be one of the lucky people who can hit 70/80Mb which is roughly the maximum speed you can achieve on FTTC over here without g.inp, vectoring etc... 

In my area Openreach are in the process of rolling out fibre, id suspect its taking them longer with covid causing more problems. I personally hope to eventually move to an area that supplies Virgin Media, I know a friend who says he can get me a nice discount on their gig1 package (Gigabit broadband). 

just curious, what is latency like with VDSL2? I know in the past with old DSL connections I've experienced, the speeds weren't too bad but the latency completely killed it for me. It was super awful. I suspect VDSL(2) is at least decent? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Also let it be known that ATT Fiber actually sucks. 

They force you use their gateway device because of their 802.1x authentication that locks it down so only that can be used, which doesn't support true bridge mode, and severely limits the capability of your network to handle multiple clients or large #'s of connections because the gateway itself is super low specced and has a NAT table that only allows for 2000 concurrent connections. 

I've seen so many people complaining about this, it's a very popular topic in the Ubiquiti subreddit.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

just curious, what is latency like with VDSL2? I know in the past with old DSL connections I've experienced, the speeds weren't too bad but the latency completely killed it for me. It was super awful. I suspect VDSL(2) is at least decent? 

ADSL2+ can also have good latency, it's mostly down to network architecture. VDSL2 is usually better because it's a new deployment and has better trunk connectivity and network design from the cabinet back. Years ago on my ADSL2+ connection the latency wasn't much different to what I get now on fibre to most things, my fibre is lower but not enough to matter.

Also let it be known that ATT Fiber actually sucks. 

They force you use their gateway device because of their 802.1x authentication that locks it down so only that can be used, which doesn't support true bridge mode, and severely limits the capability of your network to handle multiple clients or large #'s of connections because the gateway itself is super low specced and has a NAT table that only allows for 2000 concurrent connections. 

I've seen so many people complaining about this, it's a very popular topic in the Ubiquiti subreddit.

There are actually a couple of ways to bypass it, but the easiest method, and the one I am currently using is with an unmanaged switch.  Follow the steps found here https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32491796-bypass-att-pace-gateway

Will be getting a battery backup for the ONT and router just incase there is a momentary power outage which would require you to repeat the process.

https://i.speedof.me/201007231009-527

Just done this speed test now. It's between 14 and 18 and no higher. I am with Zen as my ISP. Your ping/latency can be heavily impacted by which ISP you're using as your ISP can either take a shorter or longer route vs another ISP. For example when I was with BT as my ISP my ping was around 20, but thats because they took a longer route to reach the server.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

12 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

There are actually a couple of ways to bypass it, but the easiest method, and the one I am currently using is with an unmanaged switch.  Follow the steps found here https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32491796-bypass-att-pace-gateway

Will be getting a battery backup for the ONT and router just incase there is a momentary power outage which would require you to repeat the process.

Yeah I was actually aware of this. All the methods are a bit of a pain tho. And you lose IPv6 

it’s maybe something I’d do for myself but I wouldn’t do it for any one else’s home network I’m setting up for them 

Spoiler

12 hours ago, sof006 said:

https://i.speedof.me/201007231009-527

Just done this speed test now. It's between 14 and 18 and no higher. I am with Zen as my ISP. Your ping/latency can be heavily impacted by which ISP you're using as your ISP can either take a shorter or longer route vs another ISP. For example when I was with BT as my ISP my ping was around 20, but thats because they took a longer route to reach the server.

That’s pretty impressive.

i wonder why att doesn’t just drop Adsl+ and just goes forward with just that. They’d still lose some customers since you have to be close to the node, but clearly that works well enough. 

I have coaxial cable internet at my place and I find that it’s good enough for most things. Can even get gigabit if I wanted but I don’t need it. Only thing I hate is the data cap that ISP’s love to do here in the US 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah I was actually aware of this. All the methods are a bit of a pain tho. And you lose IPv6 

it’s maybe something I’d do for myself but I wouldn’t do it for any one else’s home network I’m setting up for them 

Oh for sure, its definitely ridiculous that they make you jump through hoops.  

On 10/4/2020 at 6:56 PM, Donut417 said:

It might not be that simple. For example I live a mile from Detroit Metro Airport. The AT&T Co is actually located on the Airport property. As a result its very hard for them to provide upgrades. Those who live on the edge of our city can get Uverse as they are probably connected to a neighboring cities network. But many of the people here can only get 18 Mbps DSL. When they were providing service to my neighborhood they could only do like 6 Mbps, but they no longer provider service in my general area. 

I don't doubt it. I don't remember the year exactly but it was between 2000-2005 Canada had send speciality teams for 8 months in emergency to Detroit and rural area to help the field techs with upgrading and forming the techs there. They were years behind technology wise and the system was a bunch of spaghetti cables everywhere. They needed to do a full makeover to catch up with their centrals and exchange centers. I have not gotten any news about what happen next.