Need a suggestion for a Free Email Client

I've used Thunderbird for years but for some reason I can't even launch it right now. I've uninstalled, browsed their forums for solutions but nothing has worked (been working on this for a few days now). So I've given up and am looking for an alternative. 

Things I absolutely need are support for folders and email rules/filters.

Thanks in advance. 

4 minutes ago, Sushibagel said:

I've used Thunderbird for years but for some reason I can't even launch it right now. I've uninstalled, browsed their forums for solutions but nothing has worked (been working on this for a few days now). So I've given up and am looking for an alternative. 

Things I absolutely need are support for folders and email rules/filters.

Thanks in advance. 

There is a free version of the program called "geek uninstaller" that will uninstall the program, and crawl through the registry entries to clean out the debris. Perhaps a proper scrub of Thunderbird may help?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

Have you tried an older version of Thunderbird?

Yes, I didn't try a ton of older versions but it didn't solve my issue. 

I'd try to fix your issue first before looking into another client, some will use Thunderbird base files and likely have the same problem. Maybe you need to clean out the install folder of Thunderbird after having removed it for a clean install. What exactly is your problem?

If you don't mind an interface which looks rather Win7-ish (i.e. kinda outdated) - but is still pretty easy to learn and powerful - then give Claws a go.

Completely free software, support for a proper folder structure and multiple accounts should you want that, and also allows filtering based on a variety of different things. It's really lightweight too.

Main disadvantages are no support for Exchange - though that's hardly surprising, and you may well not need it - as well as the fact that the setup procedure isn't the most intuitive. But you only do that once, and then it works very reliably.

https://www.claws-mail.org/

Also, if you or your organisation have an Office 365 license then you can get Outlook, though that might not apply to you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

There is a free version of the program called "geek uninstaller" that will uninstall the program, and crawl through the registry entries to clean out the debris. Perhaps a proper scrub of Thunderbird may help?

Just tried this and still no dice....

6 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I'd try to fix your issue first before looking into another client, some will use Thunderbird base files and likely have the same problem. Maybe you need to clean out the install folder of Thunderbird after having removed it for a clean install. What exactly is your problem?

I've spent a quite a frustrating amount of time trying to fix it with no solution. I'm not 100% sure what's going on really. It just stopped working the other day, when I try and open it I just get a crash message. I can open it in Safe Mode but a normal start won't work. I've uninstalled disabled all plug-ins, fresh install nothing solved it. 

When I fresh install it works fine on first start but once I get my email loaded in it starts crashing again. 

7 minutes ago, Sushibagel said:

Just tried this and still no dice....

Ok, what does Event Viewer have to say, anything? when you try to open the program

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, what does Event Viewer have to say, anything? when you try to open the program

Not sure how to check Event Viewer. When I try to open it I get this... When I click the "Details" button I get a whole lot of stuff I don't really understand but nothing in there stands out as the likely error causing the issue. 

Capture.JPG

Oh... the crash could be due to some corrupt database or cache file used by thunderbird.

After uninstall, you would have to go in Users folder and remove the thunderbird profile or rename it, otherwise if you reinstall thunderbird could reuse the same bad profile.

Another option would be to use a nightly build (beta, may be buggy) of Thunderbird, here's the latest : https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/ - scroll down in the list and you'll see installer for windows

usually these nightly builds install in different folders, so they won't read the profiles of original (release) thunderbird, so they should not be affected by anything previous thunderbird did.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Oh... the crash could be due to some corrupt database or cache file used by thunderbird.

After uninstall, you would have to go in Users folder and remove the thunderbird profile or rename it, otherwise if you reinstall thunderbird could reuse the same bad profile.

Another option would be to use a nightly build (beta, may be buggy) of Thunderbird, here's the latest : https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/ - scroll down in the list and you'll see installer for windows

usually these nightly builds install in different folders, so they won't read the profiles of original (release) thunderbird, so they should not be affected by anything previous thunderbird did.

Thanks for the suggestion just tried a nightly and got the same issue... 

10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I think this is what you are looking for? svchost (18776,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Try The Bat !  : https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

It's free for personal use if I remember correctly ...    edit: may not be free, only 30 day trial

it's made by the people that made Dos Navigator if that means anything to you

33 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

If you don't mind an interface which looks rather Win7-ish (i.e. kinda outdated) - but is still pretty easy to learn and powerful - then give Claws a go.

Completely free software, support for a proper folder structure and multiple accounts should you want that, and also allows filtering based on a variety of different things. It's really lightweight too.

Main disadvantages are no support for Exchange - though that's hardly surprising, and you may well not need it - as well as the fact that the setup procedure isn't the most intuitive. But you only do that once, and then it works very reliably.

https://www.claws-mail.org/

Also, if you or your organisation have an Office 365 license then you can get Outlook, though that might not apply to you.

Thanks for your suggestions. I just don't know if I can handle the oudated UI of either of these haha