Inline code

pythonmegapixel

If I use a CODE tag, then

everything I type within it is automatically put onto a new line with black background, like this.

However, if you're referring to a single command as part of a sentence, then you don't want that to happen.

Example of the problem:

Spoiler

The first thing I did was to run the command

sudo apt update

then I ran

sudo apt upgrade

Better formatting, which is currently a nuisance on the forum:

Spoiler

The first thing I did was to run the command sudo apt update.

Then I ran sudo apt upgrade.

Lots of other software formats anything between backticks as code. So `this section of text` becomes this section of text.

Of course, this can be done manually by changing font to Courier New but backticks are far more convenient.

Any chance this could be implemented on the forum?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I guess it gets to a point where it would be easier to just let the user choose between markdown and bbcode.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Pretty much only way is to either inserting those as images, or changing font. AFAIK editor is what it is, and any changes must come from IPS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's something that has bugged me for a while too. I believe that in theory it is possible to add something like that, but I don't know how much work would be required to do it, nor how practical it would be to make it have a good UX. I will add it to my ideas backlog, to assess in a bit more detail at some point.

HTTP/2 203