Noob question - Git from the Windows command line - is this normal?

pythonmegapixel

Just trying to commit to my GitHub repository.

First time I've done it from Windows from the command line. Having sorted out my commit, I did `git push --set-upstream origin master` and this appeared:

image.png.3f842bf3bb3a42d09d6ebf90eebb7312.png

Is that supposed to happen? Is it safe to put my username and password in here or is there something wrong?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I've had that happen before I wouldn't worry about it :)

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

If you're pushing through HTTPS, then yes. SSH would just require a key.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Well you can't push to github anonymously. If you haven't setup you login it will ask for it.

It is safe to login like this.

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

Setup ssh authentication for your github account, you won't have to go through this process again. But yes, it is safe to enter your credentials there. 

On 10/2/2020 at 5:03 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

Just trying to commit to my GitHub repository.

First time I've done it from Windows from the command line. Having sorted out my commit, I did `git push --set-upstream origin master` and this appeared:

image.png.3f842bf3bb3a42d09d6ebf90eebb7312.png

Is that supposed to happen? Is it safe to put my username and password in here or is there something wrong?

You cant push code without authenticating. Else i would be able of pushing my changes to any repo on github.

1 minute ago, UndecidedPurchaser said:

You cant push code without authenticating. Else i would be able of pushing my changes to any repo on github.

Fair enough, I just wasn't sure if this window was meant to happen. I expected to be typing my password into the command line

(BTW don't quote the OP, they'll get a notification anyway)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I'm actually a real fan of this on Windows because it will automatically save your login info so you don't have to enter it every time. There is a function for this on Linux, but its a manual CMD-based process.