Best NAS for office backups

MrBaker89

Good Morning, 

I have been tasked by my GM to find a backup solution for the 50 computers that we have running on our domain. 

I am looking at using Macrium Reflect with a Monthly backup schedule. I need a minimum capacity of 10TB.

Can anyone recommend something fast and robust?

TIA

Ryzen 9 7900X

Asrock X670E PG Lightning 

32GB G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

Look at veeam for the software, I have used it a good amount, and it workes pretty well without issues.

If your on ad, Id personally go redirected users, then you don't have to worry about backups of the systems, just the server.

Is this nas rack mount? 

Depends on your software, Id probably go with another windows box, like a dell r540, and put some big hdds in it. If you just need a smb/nfs sharae, Id just get a synology, get something like a 4 or 8 bay rackmount box.

Veeam or Acronis would do the job. You either backup every system separately via agents and scheduled jobs, or you can force your users to save the data on shared folders and the backup shared folder itself. If you have complete Windows infrastructure, I would rather backup necessary files than the system itself. It is much easier to reinstall the windows from scratch or deploy a pre-build image than restore it. 

If you need to locate the backup on-premises, then you can either buy a new/refurb server with a bunch of disks and setup a RAID array or DIY server with software RAID to cut the costs. 

If you are considering cloud as an option, you can use something like duplicati and Backblaze/Wasabi as the cloud storage providers.  

Thanks guys, 

We are using a Domain but files are stored locally for the user apart from 3 Network drives we have attached to the main server. 

I was thinking I may just back up the User folder on the C:\ drive as that would contain their Outlook data file, Archives and documents etc. 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

I was thinking of getting a 2 bay NAS with 2 8TB Seagate Ironwolf pro drives. 

Would these cope with backing up 50 user folders on a Sunday? 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

3 hours ago, MrBaker89 said:

It all depends on how much data the users have on their PCs and 16TB is not a lot for 50 users.

3 hours ago, MrBaker89 said:

Thanks guys, 

We are using a Domain but files are stored locally for the user apart from 3 Network drives we have attached to the main server. 

I was thinking I may just back up the User folder on the C:\ drive as that would contain their Outlook data file, Archives and documents etc. 

Why is the data stored onto the PCs? what happens if the hard drives fails all of a sudden? What is the main server? if it is the DC, do not use it as a file server it is never recommended you should use a seperate server.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:15 AM, MrBaker89 said:

Thanks guys, 

Id really look into doing redirected users, will make this much easier to manager and put all the data in one place.

Also why backup the outlook files, there just synced from exchange, I wouldn't worry about those.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:34 AM, MrBaker89 said:

How much data we thinking? But should probably be fine. Make sure you have good software to manage this. Id really stuggest just doing redirected users.

Mightaswell backup daily, a week is a lot of data to lose, and incremintal backups are fast and can run fully in the background.

What is your network speed, the ironwolf pros are probably overkill, id go exos or standard ironwolf. THe pros are normally the same cost as exos, so I don't see a reason to get them.

How long do you want to keep changes? How did you calculate the needed storage space?

On 10/7/2020 at 1:29 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id really look into doing redirected users, will make this much easier to manager and put all the data in one place.

Also why backup the outlook files, there just synced from exchange, I wouldn't worry about those.

How much data we thinking? But should probably be fine. Make sure you have good software to manage this. Id really stuggest just doing redirected users.

Mightaswell backup daily, a week is a lot of data to lose, and incremintal backups are fast and can run fully in the background.

What is your network speed, the ironwolf pros are probably overkill, id go exos or standard ironwolf. THe pros are normally the same cost as exos, so I don't see a reason to get them.

How long do you want to keep changes? How did you calculate the needed storage space?

Thank you for your reply. 

Outlook saves the archive file to the local user. 

I have never worked with redirected users only a domain with users stored locally on the client Pc not the server. Is this something that is difficult to setup or that would require major changes to our domain? 

To backup all user profiles would be 16 - 20TB.

Network speed is 1.0Gbps

I would set the backups to delete the previous backup and replace with the latest copy. 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

27 minutes ago, MrBaker89 said:

I'll add my 2 cents here

Outlook saves the archive file to the local user. 

Save everything on an file/nas server. Users do stupid things on their PCs. 

I have never worked with redirected users only a domain with users stored locally on the client Pc not the server. Is this something that is difficult to setup or that would require major changes to our domain? 

My previous places of work, they had 2 file servers and then tape backups, one for backups and one for user/server storage. On the user/server we would create a home drive for the users where they would save their data onto that, from that, the second server would perform backups onto it's drives and then on tapes.

To backup all user profiles would be 16 - 20TB.

Get 2 of same servers but the backup server with a bit more storage.

Network speed is 1.0Gbps

That is standard.

I would set the backups to delete the previous backup and replace with the latest copy. 

Not a good idea to be honest, it can cause you a lot of stress if you do that.

There is a feature called "shadow copy" which allows the server to make multiple copies of the saved data which allows you to go back to it if a file was accidently deleted.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

6 hours ago, MrBaker89 said:

Basically set a gpo, then setup a shared folder with the correct permissions, and the next time the user logs in, it will move the user profile contents to the network location, and it works pretty seamlessly. Set this up and work and its being working well.

Make sure to test it first.

THis is what id do here if it was me. Then you don't have to worry about the pcs them selves failing

a

would set the backups to delete the previous backup and replace with the latest copy. 

Really have a few copies atleast, might as well, and remove the issue of a file is gone cause they deleted it. or changed it

Network speed is 1.0Gbps

your not doing all the backups on one day then, gotta spread them out over a wekk.

5 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

There is a feature called "shadow copy" which allows the server to make multiple copies of the saved data which allows you to go back to it if a file was accidently deleted.

make sure your backup software supports this though, most have their own utility to restore backups and won't use the shadow copy gui that is built into windows.

My boss doesn't want to go for redirected/roaming users. 

We have decided that we do not require a full disk backup only important files and mail archive. This will cut the required storage capacity by a tremendous account. 

I am looking at something along these lines: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS418play-Solution-Installed-IronWolf/dp/B07SJH5J5W?ref_=ast_sto_dp

EDIT:

I think I have found a better solution

https://www.ebuyer.com/807730-synology-ds418-4-bay-desktop-nas-enclosure-ds418

https://www.ebuyer.com/390985-wd-red-plus-2tb-3-5-sata-nas-hard-drive-wd20efrx-cmr-wd20efrx?reevoo_page=2#reevoo_embedded_reviews

I would occupy all 4 bays with the above WD red plus drives.

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU