MB/CPU advice

Greeting, community

II was planning to upgade my CPU to Ryzen 7 3800x cause I often do video editing/rendering besides my everyday work. I helped to build my friend's editing PC with 3800x and it's a beast.

I have an ASRock b450m Steel Legend mATX motherboard (with latest bios installed) and I wanted ask if someone can give me some advice on should I use it with my existing MB or invest some additional cash into an x470 MB?

I've searched the web and it seems like for basic everyday use my MB can handle 3800X ok. I might limit my CPU in terms of some features, but the performance should be fine for now.

Should I stick to my MB or save some cash and eventually buy a newer x470 board? If there will be no strong limitations to CPU performance I can always upgrade the MB later.

Also, I'm now using Gammaxx 400 to cool my Ryzen 7 1700, but my overclocking attempts with 1700 were quite painful. Also, the MB seems to have some problems when trying to OC the memory in 1 and 3 slots (which is mentioned in MB manual as well).

Will my Gammaxx 400 be able to handle 3800x? Is my MB sufficient enough so I can stick with only CPU upgrade for now?

in one week, amd annouces the 5000 series. i would wait for that before buying the 3800x.

if you don't want to wait, then yes, you can keep your current motherboard and your current cooler.

as for ram, you're supposed to have it in slots 2 and 4 anyway, not 1 and 3

X470 is outdated, B450 is still strong. B550 only really exists to guarantee compatibility with Zen 3. 

You mobo is still good for you, and the only possible limitations between a B450 and X470 is to my knowledge I/O ports and PCIe lanes, which is really not an issue for most people. 

Also the X470 usually has better VRM for OC, but you CPU cooler is the bottleneck their. 

Save your money, keep your B450 board. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

As for ram, you're supposed to have it in slots 2 and 4 anyway, not 1 and 3

Not all mobos are the same, but yes, generally you are supposed to populate slots 2 and 4 rather than 1 and 3, but that isn't universal across all 4 slot mobos. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I'll keep the mobo. I wanted to wait more for the prices to drop, but it might take a long time since I often check the prices and it really takes time for our retailers to react, they are not very eager to sell more by cutting some.

I also wanted to ask if I really should buy 3800x or I can go with 3700x since performance-wise based on benchmarks it doesn't seem like there is a big difference?

7 minutes ago, Kuarinofu said:

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I'll keep the mobo. I wanted to wait more for the prices to drop, but it might take a long time since I often check the prices and it really takes time for our retailers to react, they are not very eager to sell more by cutting some.

Well, if you have the budget for a 3800X, surely you'd be able to snatch a 5800X.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

I'm leaning towards 3700x but I'm still not quite sure now is the best time. I'll give it more thought and probably some time.