Looking for a Good paid of headphones for around 300$

Mr.Duck
Go to solution Solved by Marley217,

Wow no posts here, alright.

I've been one of those guys that was active a lot on head-fi. And I have owned quite a lot of headphones in that price range.

I've acquired the AKG K702 anniversary edition via a trade in head-fi, but I love it so much that my endless search has ended.

The sound that comes from this headphone is near perfect for me. Insane detail with the best soundstage I've ever heard, and great extension in both directions (treble and bass).

Although this is not a basshead headphone (no boosted bass), the bass response is incredibly nice, and will shake your head since it can extend very low. 

Notice that the only difference in the anniversary edition is different pads which you can purchase seperately. Those pads give you a bit more bass, if you want that.

I appreciate that you have a good dac, but does it have a good amplifier? Probably not, and I do recommend the O2. 

I've also owned amps that were about $400, but it wasn't much better than the O2, just very slightly different.

Don't get me wrong, the external dac (audinst hud-mx1) and the O2 sound significantly better than my onboard audio. But everything above this, will give you very small improvements in sound with an exponential rise in price.

But you probably already know this last part.

So i am looking for some Good pair of headphones that i can combo with my Denon DA300-USB DAC.

-The headphones must be either white/black/silver or any combo with these 3

-İ Prefer Open headphones but its not a must.

-İ listen to Rock/Metal type of Music most of the times but i like some dubsteps and top40 stuff sometimes

-Comfort must be at a high level

-And lastly i play alot of games :D

any recommendations are welcome :)

I've been one of those guys that was active a lot on head-fi. And I have owned quite a lot of headphones in that price range.

I've acquired the AKG K702 anniversary edition via a trade in head-fi, but I love it so much that my endless search has ended.

The sound that comes from this headphone is near perfect for me. Insane detail with the best soundstage I've ever heard, and great extension in both directions (treble and bass).

Although this is not a basshead headphone (no boosted bass), the bass response is incredibly nice, and will shake your head since it can extend very low. 

Notice that the only difference in the anniversary edition is different pads which you can purchase seperately. Those pads give you a bit more bass, if you want that.

I appreciate that you have a good dac, but does it have a good amplifier? Probably not, and I do recommend the O2. 

I've also owned amps that were about $400, but it wasn't much better than the O2, just very slightly different.

Don't get me wrong, the external dac (audinst hud-mx1) and the O2 sound significantly better than my onboard audio. But everything above this, will give you very small improvements in sound with an exponential rise in price.

go for sennheisers, beyerdynamic or Hifiman. 

those are the brands i trust and love.

almost anything open will sound great in the 300$ range.

AKG isnt really my cup of tea, they sound bit boring Imo.

Edited by Snazzy

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

Probably Beyerdynamic DT880 250/600ohm.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Or Beyerdynamic DT990 250/600ohm, depending on if you want a more "Colorful"  version of the DT880 with a bit more bass.

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

Oh, the AKG K702 will look so badass with my setup :P think i found my headphones :D How is the comfort with those pads and in general?

it would be nice if you could link me those pads (pref amazon.co.uk) i cant find them :P  

about the DAC/AMP , i know the O2 combo is like the best price/performance with a seriosly good performance (probs better than DA300's but the thing with me is 'Looks' for me personally in some cases looks of a product is more important than performance and the DA300's go amazing with my setup :P

Oh, the AKG K702 will look so badass with my setup :P think i found my headphones :D How is the comfort with those pads and in general?

it would be nice if you could link me those pads (pref amazon.co.uk) i cant find them :P  

about the DAC/AMP , i know the O2 combo is like the best price/performance with a seriosly good performance (probs better than DA300's but the thing with me is 'Looks' for me personally in some cases looks of a product is more important than performance and the DA300's go amazing with my setup :P

The comfort is really good, and the headphones are surprisingly light.

About the sennheisers and hifiman headphones in that range, I owned them and I say no. The HD650 simply has too little 'sparkle' and detail in the treble, and apparently you need a a $1000+ amp to reach its full potential.

I've also owned the hifiman HE400s, man, the treble is so freaking peaky, sibilant and high pitched it's not worth it. Not to mention the weight and the huge dip in the upper mids.

About the pads, I couldn't find them on amazon! They are called: AKG K-702 Gel-Ear-Pad, you should be able to buy them somewhere though. I only know a european shop called thomann.de that sells them.

I don't mind the looks of the 02, but you need to have a cool cable :D

900x900px-LL-16c2c74c_kabel2.jpeg

PS, I made that cable, and I made it just for the looks not for any better SQ.