[solved] build mac app from source

asheenlevrai

Hi :)

I have 0 experience in coding.

I found an app on GitLab that is designed to run on macOS and I would like to try it.

Unfortunately, it looks like I can only download the source (a bunch of swift files) and that no release package was made available.

Other users all mentioned they built the app from source on their mac.

How should I do that?

Thank you very much in advance for your guidance.

Best,

-a-

3 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

I found an app on GitLab that is designed to run on macOS and I would like to try it. Unfortunately, it looks like I can only download the source (a bunch of swift files) and that no release package was made available.

Other users all mentioned they built the app from source on their mac. How should I do that?

Is there no readme file in the repository that explains how to do this?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

23 minutes ago, minibois said:

Is there no readme file in the repository that explains how to do this?

nothing like that in the readme file

12 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

nothing like that in the readme file

I am not familiar with how stuff is done on Mac, but I assume you need to download the Swift Compiler and compile it like that.

Just guessing though.

It might be easier to ask in the comments on the Git page though 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Can you post a link to the repo, assuming it's public? If it's private then minibois is right, your only option is to ask in the repo's comments.

I know that you will need a Mac & Xcode but that’s all I’m really sure of. 

9 minutes ago, elpiop said:

Download Xcode and open the Aureal.xcodeproj file. Then you can either build/run it or archive and export the application

I've never used Xcode before.

what is the difference between build/run and archive or even export?

Would I be able to generate an .app file (or a installer like a .dmg or a .pkg file) that I could then use on different macs?

Tx

-a-

1 minute ago, asheenlevrai said:

I've never used Xcode before.

what is the difference between build/run and archive or even export?

Would I be able to generate an .app file (or a installer like a .dmg or a .pkg file) that I could then use on different macs?

Tx

-a-

Run will just run the app from Xcode. If you Archive it, you can copy the .app file and distribute it, yes. 

Just now, elpiop said:

Run will just run the app from Xcode. If you Archive it, you can copy the .app file and distribute it, yes. 

Thank you SO much :D

1 minute ago, asheenlevrai said:

Thank you SO much :D

No problem. After you open Xcode, you'll want to go to Product -> Archive at the top of the screen. Once it archives it should open the organizer where you can click "Distribute App" and select "Copy app".