How to check compatibility of processors

giammi56

Hi all! I am quite new here :)

What has to be checked to understand if my LENOVO L530 2841 gs (here the specifications of the components) can be upgraded with either a i7 3940 XM (4 core - 55 W) or a i7-3840QM (4 core 45 W)? The most powerful processor that has been used origianlly is a Intel Core i7-3520M. In general, what do I need to check to be sure of the compatibility(sockets, BIOS, etc.. )? Is perhaps possible to How can I calculate if my cooling system is powerful enough?

Thank you!

As far as I can tell you can't upgrade the CPU its soldered onto the motherboard.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

1 hour ago, giammi56 said:

Hi all! I am quite new here :)

What has to be checked to understand if my LENOVO L530 2841 gs (here the specifications of the components) can be upgraded with either a i7 3940 XM (4 core - 55 W) or a i7-3840QM (4 core 45 W)? The most powerful processor that has been used origianlly is a Intel Core i7-3520M. In general, what do I need to check to be sure of the compatibility(sockets, BIOS, etc.. )? Is perhaps possible to How can I calculate if my cooling system is powerful enough?

Thank you!

If the cpu was available in some configuration of your ThinkPad, it should be recognized in bios, that has been my experience when upgrading ThinkPads. As for cooling, that will not be an issue. However make sure to remove the old thermal paste from the cpu, motherboard and graphics card (if you have one), basically everywhere there was paste on and reapply new paste. I use Noctua NT-H1 for my ThinkPads but if you want a bit more performance or better transfer of heat, consider Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste.

Your first step however will be to upgrade the laptop with the latest bios, do it before opening it up. You may only be able to upgrade it with the original processor inside. 

When you have the device open, unplug the battery and unplug the cmos battery as well, should be a round yellow or black thing with a black and red cable connecting to a white header on the board. leave it out while you swap the cpu and reapply the paste. Then plug it back in. You may want to enter bios first thing after having closed the ThinkPad up again to set the current date and time as well as boot order if you have more than one drive.

@Smit Devrukhkar I have seen here that a guy made it because the socket is indeed a PGA. I am wondering if someone knows about BIOS compatibility issues with better processors compared to the highest supported one i7-3520M. Giving a try to an higher one costs about 130 $ more..

@Applefreak Thank you for your explanation! I was really hoping/wishing it could be possible to use the high-end i7 listed there. I have googled around for BIOS compatibility problems with L530, but I couldn't find any reference. Most of what's happening is about the T series (customized BIOS especially). From your experience, would you try some CPU in the same series although not officially supported by Lenovo? My present CPU is a i5-3210M working at 35 W (as well as the highest officially supported i7-3520M) and I am a bit worried about 30%-40% more heat with an higher i7.