Desk mount recommendations - Alienware AW3418DW 34" Ultrawide Monitor

HoneyBadger84

'ello mates!

I've decided that I want to look in to a desk-mount/stand that will "mount" my monitor to my desk & thusly remove the more bulky stand that comes with this monitor.  Looking for recommendations.

My monitor: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824260555

Monitor weight is in the 16lb range WITHOUT the stand.

It's stand is nice in that it doubles as a place to stow your keyboard when you're doing something that requires desk space, but it also makes placing a mouse mat & other things an issue because it sticks out a fair bit.

Thanks in advance!

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

Can you drill or clamp to the desk?  If not it gets complicated.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Can you drill or clamp to the desk?  If not it gets complicated.

Preference would be clamping yes.  Would prefer not to drill in to it.

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

1 minute ago, HoneyBadger84 said:

Preference would be clamping yes.  Would prefer not to drill in to it.

Clamps can work. Limits where you can put it but they work.  The thing about monitor stands is a lot of them were designed for CRTs so 16lb could be almost nothing. Last monitor stand I bought was specced for CRT so my gigantic 30” monitor was so light I had to bolt plates to the bottom to make it heavy enough for the height adjustment to work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So I ended up buying this thing:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X48X4KM/

Got it with a $10 off coupon ($42 with taxes included), it arrived today. 

Assembly was easy (and I'm not one that's good at putting non-computer stuff together), the parts don't feel very high quality, but it is very sturdy & not wobbly/unstable at all once the monitor is on it.  I barely had to adjust the "pressure" at all, it says it's specced for 8-11lbs when it's shipped but my monitor is ~16lbs and it had no issues holding it up on the default setting.  Easy to adjust as well.  The tilt mechanism was a little finnicky but I got that sorted pretty quickly.

Figured I'd post an update in case any is looking for a stand/mount & happens by this thread.

Primary Rig: