$200US Motherboard Suggestion AM3+

I've been having nothing but problems from my m5a97r2.0, and need to replace it. I'm constantly having issues with USB being powered on and off, as well as network issues, off and on for a few months now, even had a 2 sata ports go crazy on me, so after being pissed off 1-2 times a week, I'm just going to upgrade to something else, preferably less than $200, compatible with my fx-8350.

I was looking at a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514 but if anyone else had any suggestions, that'd be helpful 

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

UD5 or Sabertooth.

if you're not going to push your overclocks too hard then a UD3 is fine. 

Error: 410

UD5 or Sabertooth.

I'd go Sabertooth. I've heard the UD5 is kinda bad in terms of OC'ing.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I'd go Sabertooth. I've heard the UD5 is kinda bad in terms of OC'ing.

For a board that supports 220w chips it can't be that bad

i'm a GB fanboy so it would be the choice for me, I've had terrible experiences with Asus stuff

i'm a GB fanboy so it would be the choice for me, I've had terrible experiences with Asus stuff

I'm not saying if I like one side more but..... The Sabertooth looks so amazing! :wub:

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I have a bad taste in my mouth after this recent ASUS motherboard, but not ruling them out completely. Is there any major differences between the UD3 and UD5 other than 2 sata ports and an additional pci-e slot?

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

I would RMA your board as the M5A97 R2.0 is a decent board. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I have a bad taste in my mouth after this recent ASUS motherboard, but not ruling them out completely. Is there any major differences between the UD3 and UD5 other than 2 sata ports and an additional pci-e slot?

The major thing is some of the UD3 boards are known to have VRM and (NB to a lesser extent) heat issues leading to throttling, there should be much less of those issues with the UD5 since it's supposed to be able to power a 220w chip out of the box. 

Aside from the extra features, the UD5 is more overbuilt. 

Sabertooth. I think there's a Formula-Z for that price, or just around that.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Sabertooth, or the Formula-Z, I've heard from numerous sources that the UD3 has VRM issues.... I also have the Sabertooth and can speak from experience to say its a great board :) but if you can find a Formula Z then just get that instead :)

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

VRM overheating happens to a Crosshair V formula-z/sabertooth in prime as well if you don't have your case fans properly sorted. My 3930K@4.6GHz with 1.40V started to downclock after 30secs in prime95 that power consumption equals a 8350@5GHz I think. The question is if the power delivery is enough for it, the UD5's power delivery should be enough for daily tasks such as gaming and an overclock of 5GHz orsomething but why would you even use prime for stability testing? Oo

A CPU that doesnt run stable, will make errors and will try to correct them, if it can't your app crashes or you get a bsod. There will be as good as no noticeable performance loss (hint GFLOPS in IBT with stable/unstable overclock). Prime will eventually crash your system much faster but you can even crash after an hour at idle so it doesnt have to be fully loaded to test your stability.

Most people here do blend so who says you're stable? I did 4.6GHz@1.336V for 8hours blend (can post screenshot if you like) with all ram used (14.9GB orsomething) but ive seen like 2 bsod's in 3 days time during normal usages so I knew it wasn't stable so I gave small fft's a try -> crash after 15 mins. With sandybridges its nothing more than "up vcore after bsod", 8350's are harder to clock so its just not always up vcore. Just dont stick to one test but instead test your stability in games or with your most intensive tasks such as dunno what you do.

I moved a few months ago from a H100i to a nh-u12s for more quietness, I got 4.5GHz with 1.35V and I have no clue if its prime stable, maybe the vcore is even too much and I'm hitting nearly the Tjmax in prime95 but haven't seen any bsods since I got that cooler.