Need advice on new display for gaming and using with PS5

Peter Boyle

Hi,

I posted a week or two ago asking for good options for a monitor/TV to use with my PS5 as I currently do not have a 4k display. I have since done more research and am now torn between getting a 4k 60hz TV (I don't think theres any point in getting a 120hz tv for a ps5 due to the cost of them currently here in the UK) or getting a 4k 144hz/120hz monitor. I will be using my PS5 for mainly story games as I have my PC for shooters/competitive games so I am looking for something which will give me good colours and look really good.

I went to a local shop and the employee suggested the Sony KD49XH8096BU which I will link at the bottom of the post. He claims this will give me the best experience because it has Dolby Vision instead of HDR10+ and claimed that this is what the PS5 will use and apps such as Netflix currently use. He also claimed that due to the TV running the same software as the playstation it would be a smoother experience. To be honest when he was talking it sounded like he was making it all up which is why I have posted on here. I am totally clueless when it comes to TVs so hoping someone here can help me out and let me know what the best option is.

Another issue which I am worried about is that I have been told that when getting a 4k TV I should multiply the size of the screen by 1.5 and that would give me an optimal range for the TV to be viewed at. My issue with this is that I would be mounting the TV on the wall and would be sitting around 10ft away. I dont think I could fit a TV any bigger than 50-55 inches on the wall due to my PC setup being in the way. Due to this I have started considering the possibility of a 4k monitor instead which would become part of my PC setup and replace one of my current monitors. I will link a monitor which I saw online which is in the same price range as the TV but my main concern is that the image quality would be a lot worse. The monitor is only HDR600 and doesnt have anything like dolby vision so I do not know if I am better just getting a TV for better colours or if the HDR600 would be fine for me.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome and would be much appreciated.

Any questions please ask because I tend to be terrible at describing what I am looking for 😂

Sony KD49XH8096BU TV:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd49xh8096bu-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10204786-pdt.html

LG 27" 27GN950-B

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-27-27gn950-b-3840x2160-4k-nano-ips-144hz-1ms-hdr-600-freesync-g-sync-compatible-led-widescreen-g-mo-15w-lg.html

Thanks in advance,

Peter Boyle

The problem is the ps5 isn’t out yet.  All that exists is predictions, and there are conflicting predictions so there will be conflicting opinions.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is the ps5 isn’t out yet.  All that exists is predictions, and there are conflicting predictions so there will be conflicting opinions.

Yeah i suppose. I'm more just trying to narrow it down between a TV and a monitor I suppose. Worried that if i go TV i wont get the full 4k experience due to viewing distance but worried about getting a monitor in case the colours and image quality are not as good

4k should be at least 32 inches imo. Honestly, if you want 4k for the full experience, it will probably prefer to be on a TV... and your PC for input, since I don't truly think native 4K was ever on the table for PS5, more so speed and upscaling. That LG is phenomenal, but at 27 inches too small to appreciate it. Very overkill, I'd get a 144hz QHD widescreen, or a 40 inch UHD 60hz. But think about your desktop too, going 60hz is the main bottleneck of most peoples setups. 

Honestly, I'd say stick with what you have since the PS5 isnt out yet. No idea whether it'll play native 4k or non 4k "4k" (aka 2160x1440p). The only thing I can help with is dont buy 27 incher to display full 4k resolution, needs way more screenage. 

1 hour ago, jupac said:

4k should be at least 32 inches imo. Honestly, if you want 4k for the full experience, it will probably prefer to be on a TV... and your PC for input, since I don't truly think native 4K was ever on the table for PS5, more so speed and upscaling. That LG is phenomenal, but at 27 inches too small to appreciate it. Very overkill, I'd get a 144hz QHD widescreen, or a 40 inch UHD 60hz. But think about your desktop too, going 60hz is the main bottleneck of most peoples setups. 

Honestly, I'd say stick with what you have since the PS5 isnt out yet. No idea whether it'll play native 4k or non 4k "4k" (aka 2160x1440p). The only thing I can help with is dont buy 27 incher to display full 4k resolution, needs way more screenage. 

Okay thanks a lot! I'll look for something 32" or higher if I do get a monitor. My main worry with getting a 40" TV would be the viewing distance though because i'm sitting around 10ft away

5 hours ago, Peter Boyle said:

I went to a local shop and the employee suggested the Sony KD49XH8096BU which I will link at the bottom of the post. He claims this will give me the best experience because it has Dolby Vision instead of HDR10+ and claimed that this is what the PS5 will use and apps such as Netflix currently use. He also claimed that due to the TV running the same software as the playstation it would be a smoother experience. To be honest when he was talking it sounded like he was making it all up

He was.

10 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

He was.

I vaguely concur in a squishy I think I read something somewhere kind of way.  I vaguely recall a passage where it was mentioned that the XboxX had Dolby atmos and the other console had no Dolby stuff at all. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.