Sony MDR-1R Headphones

Packaging 

The Sony MDR-1R come packaged in a very sleek hard cardboard box, which black from the outside and inside. This creates the impression that you are really buying a quality product. I appreciate little things like that. 

Sony%20MDR-1R-1.jpg

The headphones themselves are put in a what at the first glance looks as a foamy surface, though when  further inspected it is actually a plastic outer shell covered in an extremely thin, but surprisingly good feeling silk-alike textile material. 

IMG_20121205_105203.jpg

Inside the box one can find the headphones themselves, two detachable 3.5mm cables (1.2m each) and a nice rugged bag for the headphones. There are two cables, because one of them is obviously designed to be used with a media device since it has a volume rocker and an omni directional mic, however this feature only works with iOS devices which is quite disappointing... Also the fact that both cables are only 1.2m makes them completely unable to be plugged in the back of the motherboard or in a DAC/AMP, which are not right by your side. Considering the fact that these are 200USD  headphones, Sony could have at lest included one longer cable with these. Other than that both cables are good quality and are gold-plated. 

l_19430627_007.jpg

The Product - Sony MDR-1R

These headphones are available in two colors - black/red and silver/brown, however I should note that the silver/brown ones cost about 20USD more than the standard black/red ones. Considering that there is nothing special about the silver/brown headphones, I can't really understand why they have to cost more... 

MDR-1R.jpg

The headphones are mostly made out of plastic and a little bit of metal. Although the hinges look like aluminum, they are actually some kind of fancy painted plastic. Surprisingly though it feels quite good. Thanks to this choice of materials on behalf of Sony, these headphones are extremely light and can be comfortably used for quite long time whiteout putting unwanted strain on your head.

The padding on the ear cups is not too large and really soft, even too soft. This can potentially cause some problems to people who's ears are bit bigger. Mine are kind of medium sized and I haven't got any problems with them even when I use them for 6-7h strait. The ear cups have a closed design, however interestingly they they don't keep your ears warm. I haven't yet experience any kind of discomfort or sweating after long use. I must give Sony points for this.  

The padding on the headband is very thick, despite the fact that it doesn't look that way. It provides amazing comfort once the headset is on your head. I usually wear my headphones for 6-7, even soemtimes 8h per day and I feel no strain on my head at all.  

DSC02123_1024x680.jpg

On the bottom of the left ear cup one can find the 3.5mm jack where the detachable cable connects to headphone. I really like the modular interface, because this gives you the possibility to use any other 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect these headphones to the desired devices. It also adds to the portability and facilitates the transportation of the headphones in their case. 

4Sony_MDR_1R_35481885_610x436.jpg

Specs

Drivers - 40mm (HD driver unit)

Diaphragm - Liquid Crystal Polymer Film Diaphragm

Frequency Response (Hz) - 4-80,000Hz

Sensitivity (dB/mW) - 105dB/mW

Magnet - Neodymium

Impedance (Ohm) - 48 Ω at 1 kH

Weight (g) - 240g

Sony_MDR1R_Graphs_MDR1R.jpg

Sound Quality

I'll say right from the start that these headphones have indeed an amazing sound quality and that stays like this throughout all of the sound ranges even at maximum volume. Everything is clear and good sounding, I have no complaints here, however that is just me.

These headphones are definitely not suited for everyone, since although they are not advertised as reference headphone they do sound quite flat. I have tried them with a more bass-aggressive EQ, but that doesn't really help that much. Anyway, the bass that they do provide is neither deep, nor punchy. Some of the songs, which are usually considered even too bass-heavy like, for example, Steve Mac ft Mosquito - Loving You More (Freemasons Remix), Mt. Eden - Sierra Leone just feel flat and dull.

Other than that the headphones are particularly good in the mids and highs, without sounding too open. This makes them perfect for watching videos and movies, where too much bass and washed up vocals can be a real problem. Watching movies and YouTube videos on my tablet or smart phone with these headphones is joy.

Conclusion

The Sony MDR-1R are a good pair of headphones designed to compete mainly with fashion headphones like the SkullCandy or Beats and it does a damn good job at that. However, considering their price Sony should have put a little bit more effort into mainly the packaging and the accessories, a point where the above mentioned brands shine. Anyway, if you are looking into some good, reliable headphones, which not only sound good, but look good and are light as well and you are willing to make the sacrifice of the lesser bass, these are for you.

Pros:

- Good build quality

- Light weight 

- Good looking

- Clear sound (especially vocals)

- Very comfortable

- Priced well compared to other fashion headphones

Cons:

- Mic and volume control only works with iOS

- The included cables are too short to reach anything other than your pocket

- Not enough emphasis on bass

PS: The pictures in this review are from the Internet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Hmmmm..  I never thought about this, but these headphones would actually be great as a headset using a v-moda boommic. The 3.5mm input seems to have no locking mechanism and just be a standard 3.5mm plug so it should work out. That way you could use this as a headset without a clunky cable or taping something to the earcup. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

How much are these?

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I've got a pair of mdr-55. I found them to have amazing audio quality for the price. I paid about £40 for them and use a condenser mic. I tested loads of headphones in the shop and found the Sony one preferable to my ears than the beats etc...

• 2 weeks later...

The Mic and central button in the controller do work in android, I use them with my Xperia SP and all the commands work (1 press to play/pause, 2 presses for next song, 3 presses for previous song).   The volume + and - do not work though.

I also use these as headset in the PS4. 

Mystery is the source of all true science.

4-80,000 hz frequency response, because you'll definitely hear all that shit.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

They look pretty cool.

I wish more headphones came with detachable cables.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I actually tried to get Linus to pick up a pair of MDR-1RBT (the Bluetooth version) to add some more variance to his lineup of headphone reviews; It's a great pair of headphones, albeit a bit pricey, but you also get what you pay for: Pure quality sound and build.

Regarding the bass, I feel that if you get a good seal on your ears, and crank the volume waay up, the base becomes incredible (especially when run over BT) while still maintaining clarity in both mids and highs — It's addictive!

Cheers,

Linus

These remind me a little of the Sennheiser Momentums. Looks good and the previous Sony headphones I've tried have a nice sound quality too.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I actually tried to get Linus to pick up a pair of MDR-1RBT (the Bluetooth version) to add some more variance to his lineup of headphone reviews; It's a great pair of headphones, albeit a bit pricey, but you also get what you pay for: Pure quality sound and build.

Regarding the bass, I feel that if you get a good seal on your ears, and crank the volume waay up, the bass becomes incredible (especially when run over BT) while still maintaining clarity in both mids and highs — It's addictive!

I bought the BT version recently, and I love them. They are so comfortable, but they may be a little warm, especially during summer time.

The base is great and the sound quality overall is great. I have tried other BT headphones before and they weren't great, but the MDR-1RBT blew me away.

They are as you say, a bit pricey, I bought mine for 2500 NOK(412 USD), but they are totally worth it. The cords of my headphones/earphones drove me mad, and now I can travel with the Sony's, free of the damn cord and I get to enjoy great sound :D

After using my Sony MDR-X05s, I forgot that they also make reference-sounding headphones. This is a good review, but I'd add more detail to the sound category. Try listing your benchmarks (what games you play, what videos you watch) and including more variety like different genres and songs.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510