Is OOXML or ODF more futureproof?

AshesAndWool
8 minutes ago, AshesAndWool said:

Question is in title, this might be debateable.

ODF really just boils down to an XML schema that defines a format useful for "office" application backends.

That's a funny way of saying that ODF is XML.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

XML is a generic format, that can store data.  

Microsoft's document format is XML based, basically a bunch of xml files in a zip file. 

ODF is open document format, is a bunch of XML files in a zip file.

in theory, ODF is easier to implement and is a much cleaner/clearer standard, the Microsoft file format is much more cumbersome to implement and a lot of features are poorly documented or not documented at all, and there's stuff like including binary data (series of bytes) produced by various plugins or filters of modules of previous versions of Office (and these binary data chunks are not documented .. the standard says stuff like read the bytes from document, load the plug/module , send the bytes to it ... good luck for other office programs to support that feature or that stuff saved in a document)

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

XML is a generic format, that can store data.  

Microsoft's document format is XML based, basically a bunch of xml files in a zip file. 

ODF is open document format, is a bunch of XML files in a zip file.

in theory, ODF is easier to implement and is a much cleaner/clearer standard, the Microsoft file format is much more cumbersome to implement and a lot of features are poorly documented or not documented at all, and there's stuff like including binary data (series of bytes) produced by various plugins or filters of modules of previous versions of Office (and these binary data chunks are not documented .. the standard says stuff like read the bytes from document, load the plug/module , send the bytes to it ... good luck for other office programs to support that feature or that stuff saved in a document)

Thanks for the useful information. I think I am going to go with the ODF-format because I might switch to libreoffice in the future and I want my documents to be as readable as possible, but I am going to be using microsoft word for now, do you know / think that microsoft will disable its own doxc-exclusive features when editing an ODF-document or will they look good in the word-software and then get ruined when the file is saved or some weird thing like that?