Is high usage of RAM bad?

apocalee
Go to solution Solved by Haro,

It wont harm anything, unless you're page filing (80% is not page filing) it wont affect performance for the most part. 

I'm new to the tech industry and am very interested in it

I have 8gb ram on my laptop and while school we use a video calling app called Microsoft teams. It uses over 800mb memory when its just started and over 1500mb memory when there's a video call going on. My memory usage is around 70-80% consistently but I don't notice lag anywhere. I just wanted to know if this is a bad thing or not, or should I take some actions against it

It wont harm anything, unless you're page filing (80% is not page filing) it wont affect performance for the most part. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

High RAM usage is fine (no sense in having paid for RAM you don't use).

8GB isn't a ton in the modern days though as programs have become increasingly RAM hungry. So keep the RAM in mind if you run into software the laptop isn't running properly.

One step you can take to get a little more mileage out of the 8GB is disabling programs from starting with windows. Comes with the trade-off of having to start them manually as you need them though.