Like going from a Lexus to a Kia...

mao91

I’ve been forever ruined to the case market since choosing a Fractal Design Define R5 for my first build in 2015. I wanted to turn my PC sideways to lay on a sliding shelf in my rack:

256A9E2F-3B58-4C9F-B138-2879938354A6.thumb.jpeg.3cd068d40f0d7bbab5bd38ff7b127e16.jpeg

The problem? The rails are 451mm apart. The R5 without feet is also 451mm. So after a week of sliding it in and out, it looked like this:

90EDF546-C3A2-4331-B998-D9F1F87EEB04.thumb.jpeg.7c13bf270fc71eaef2bbc250b681d2ec.jpeg

So I had to find a different case. I thought “no problem I’m sure Fractal makes something in their Define series,” because of course to my spoiled self, no other case is even a case. Unfortunately, never have I been more wrong. Even the Define 7 Compact is too big. The R6? Good luck finding one anywhere near launch price. Okay, no problem, I guess I can settle for a Be Quiet.

This is what happens when you set your baseline to “Lexus LS”. and then try to buy “Kia Optima.” 

My requirement for a new case was under 450mm height with the feet removed, and acoustically friendly. The solution, obviously, was this Pure Base 500 from Be Quiet! Sure enough, it’s *just about* as quiet as the Define R5. But oh my god... it’s just.. it... it’s not the same.

Building in the R5 is like moving around in a luxury SUV. It’s comfortable and there is just SO MUCH ROOM! Building in the Pure Base 500 is like moving around in a Camry. You still have plenty of room in theory, but it doesn’t feel like you do. The metal even feels more flimsy and light. The subtle noise that I heard from the R5 (look, fans get old eventually) was a very soft sort of noise. The subtle noise from the Pure Base 500 (granted, I’m using those stock Pure Wings fans) is more harsh and gratey. 

5B330B5A-B189-4D3F-BE01-05EA2BB90F2B.thumb.jpeg.d27b39478540afc0d3ff12a7a53497f6.jpeg

It even looks like a Kia. 

So now here’s my contemplation: do I say “fuggit” and swap back to the R5 and take a reciprocating saw to those lower rack rails? Do I rip the garage door off because my luxury SUV won’t fit? 

This has been today’s episode of “toast is a whiny first world peon.” 

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Why not buy a proper rackmount server chassis?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Why not buy a proper rackmount server chassis?

I’m dead set on cooling my CPU with the NH-D15 as it offers the best performance per dBA. Because of my work I need very high performance both in terms of processing power and acoustics. It would take a 5U rack case to accommodate the NH-D15. I have yet to find such a thing. I found one company that made a 6U chassis but I couldn’t find anything in terms of internal dimensions and it looked like the motherboard tray was fairly elevated, and I didn’t know if they allowed returns based on compatibility. 

I’d eventually like to invest in a custom design & build from Protocase, but that’s pretty far out of my budget right now. 

I will confess the BeQuiet does look pretty snappy inside.

Fractal Design Define R5:

50D3EEF8-4D1B-4EC3-BC7E-3ED635A11C76.thumb.jpeg.033daf0244f4068667093448ed354c0a.jpeg

BeQuiet Pure Base 500:

80D87013-352C-421A-982F-A812DF52A1D5.thumb.jpeg.aef751d0ada58cd5f44ee132e2c27482.jpeg

58 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

I’m dead set on cooling my CPU with the NH-D15 as it offers the best performance per dBA. Because of my work I need very high performance both in terms of processing power and acoustics.

Then you should get an AIO cooler.

But without swapping out all of your hardware, why not just get a proper 4-post sliding shelf and put the chassis on top of it?

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Then you should get an AIO cooler.

But without swapping out all of your hardware, why not just get a proper 4-post sliding shelf and put the chassis on top of it?

That's exactly what I've done.

The rails in my rack are roughly 451mm apart.

The NH-D15, without feet, is roughly 451mm tall. 

Laid on its side and placed on the sliding shelf (hallowed by thy Tripp Lite), the R5 scuffs and scrapes against the rails going in and out. This Pure Base 500 doesn't do that. It fits. (The NZXT H510 was another full ATX case that fit with the feet removed, even more so than the Pure Base 500, but the negative reviews are even more real than the hype, it's absolute garbage; easy to build in, but the most obnoxiously noisy thing when turned on). 

Anyway. To your AIO comment. You seem to be forgetting my performance per dBA bit. Unless I'm living under a rock, I'm pretty sure there is no AIO on the market that can meet the NH-D15's performance per dBA. If there is, then I could consider a rack chassis as long as it has room for me to install noise dampening sheets (bitumen, like the Define series) and doesn't cost $300. 

Right now, from a performance-per-dBA-per-dollar standpoint, I think I'm sitting pretty well. I'm not looking to spend more on a case or CPU cooling than necessary, since the planned CPU, RAM, and drive configuration of my new build alone is going to be enough to make my wallet cry bitter tears.

11 hours ago, B.Toast said:

That's exactly what I've done.

The rails in my rack are roughly 451mm apart.

The NH-D15, without feet, is roughly 451mm tall. 

Laid on its side and placed on the sliding shelf (hallowed by thy Tripp Lite), the R5 scuffs and scrapes against the rails going in and out. This Pure Base 500 doesn't do that. It fits. (The NZXT H510 was another full ATX case that fit with the feet removed, even more so than the Pure Base 500, but the negative reviews are even more real than the hype, it's absolute garbage; easy to build in, but the most obnoxiously noisy thing when turned on). 

Ah.. Got it.  I thought you were dragging the case in and out.  Didn't realize the NZXT case was hitting the posts.

11 hours ago, B.Toast said:

Anyway. To your AIO comment. You seem to be forgetting my performance per dBA bit. Unless I'm living under a rock, I'm pretty sure there is no AIO on the market that can meet the NH-D15's performance per dBA. If there is, then I could consider a rack chassis as long as it has room for me to install noise dampening sheets (bitumen, like the Define series) and doesn't cost $300. 

Right now, from a performance-per-dBA-per-dollar standpoint, I think I'm sitting pretty well. I'm not looking to spend more on a case or CPU cooling than necessary, since the planned CPU, RAM, and drive configuration of my new build alone is going to be enough to make my wallet cry bitter tears.

Might want to re-research that.  Most NH-D15 reviews are quite old.  And even back then (five years ago on average?) the NZXT Kraken cooler cooled better than the NH-D15 and was only about 3db louder.

Since then, I think both NZXT, Corsair and Cooler Master have put out improved AIO coolers.  Back when the HH-D15 was out, most AIO radiators were 240 or 280.  Now 360 and 420 allowing for larger heat dissipation surface area and an additional fan allowing all three to run at lower RPM.  And most good cases these days support these (in the front or top).

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ah.. Got it.  I thought you were dragging the case in and out.  Didn't realize the NZXT case was hitting the posts.

Might want to re-research that.  Most NH-D15 reviews are quite old.  And even back then (five years ago on average?) the NZXT Kraken cooler cooled better than the NH-D15 and was only about 3db louder.

Since then, I think both NZXT, Corsair and Cooler Master have put out improved AIO coolers.  Back when the HH-D15 was out, most AIO radiators were 240 or 280.  Now 360 and 420 allowing for larger heat dissipation surface area and an additional fan allowing all three to run at lower RPM.  And most good cases these days support these (in the front or top).

Hmm. I do like the idea of a 360. The Pure Base 500 does support it as well. If I go with a 360 rad I’d probably move to a lower profile rack case and save a few U’s of room, so long as I can line the inside of said rack case with bitumen. 

Honestly if I was in the same situation (btw i have the exact same case in the blackout variant) what I would do is just keep the define r5 and if anything just take a file to the side of the server rack where each u screws in since it seems that its just rubbing enough to wear off the paint on the case.