Does downclocking a Ryzen 3900x by 0.10Ghz make a huge difference for gaming. From 3.80 GHz to 3.70 Ghz.

Does downclocking a Ryzen 3900x by 0.10Ghz make a noticeable difference for gaming.  From 3.80 GHz to 3.70 Ghz?  I only downclocked because of the Ryzen boost problems.  If I let my Ryzen 3900x boost, it would ramp up the fans every few seconds.  What I did was go into the power options in Windows 10.  Then, I changed the advanced power settings of AMD Ryzen Balanced.  I edited the Minimum processor state and Maximum processor state to 99% and it downclocked my cpu to 3.71 GHz.  It helped my idle voltage go down.  I do not hear the fans ramp up every few seconds when I changed or refresh tabs in Google Chrome.    

I doubt you will notice any difference.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, Daniel1 said:

I do not hear the fans ramp up every few seconds when I changed or refresh tabs in Google Chrome.

it shouldn't be noticeable, though as for the fans ramping up, you can set a custom fan curve in the bios for that. 

It helped my idle voltage go down. 

"high idle voltage" is fine, ryzen idle's at high voltage but low current, once the cpu gets some work to do, the voltage will drop.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

It is pretty much a stable clock between 3.70 Ghz - 3.71 Ghz.  My cpu does not boost anymore with my power option settings.

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

it shouldn't be noticeable, though as for the fans ramping up, you can set a custom fan curve in the bios for that. 

I have not found any good tutorials with fan curve settings.

any good tutorials with fan curve settings.

You can just play around with them and see what's good for you. 

and as for the high idle voltage, that's fine, ryzen idles at high voltage and low current, once you put some load on the cpu, the voltage will drop. 

but to answer your question again, no it's nothing noticeable. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

35 minutes ago, Daniel1 said:

If I let my Ryzen 3900x boost, it would ramp up the fans every few seconds.

this is due to the "spiky" temps of ryzen chips (since zen 1) during idle

undervolting the chip makes the spikes go away during idle.

and does your 3900x only boost to 3.8? that's quite low

every 3900x I've seen boost to 4.0 in games when loaded on all threads, including mine

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

this is due to the "spiky" temps of ryzen chips (since zen 1) during idle

underclocking the chip makes the spikes go away during idle.

and does your 3900x only boost to 3.8? that's quite low

every 3900x I've seen boost to 4.0 in games when loaded on all threads, including mine

My Ryzen 9 3900x would boost up to 4.2 Ghz during idle and gaming.  At idle the voltage would be at 1.4 V.  Ever since I edited the Windows power options settings.  I downclocked it to 3.71 Ghz.  Now the idle voltage is around 1.1 V.  Sounds really quiet now.  

6 minutes ago, Daniel1 said:

My Ryzen 9 3900x would boost up to 4.2 Ghz during idle.  At idle the voltage would be at 1.4 V.  Ever since I edited the Windows power options settings.  I downclocked it 3.71 Ghz.  Now the idle voltage is around 1.1 V.  Sounds really quiet now.  

not sure what does windows power setting does, but i use Ryzen Master to monitor and tweak my CPU

but as long as you feel it's fine then it's ok

how much does your CPU boost to if you run cinebench R20?

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

not sure what does windows power setting does, but i use Ryzen Master to monitor and tweak my CPU

but as long as you feel it's fine then it's ok

how much does your CPU boost to if you run cinebench R20?

I have not run a cinebench R20 benchmark with my cpu.  

Just now, Daniel1 said:

I have not run a cinebench R20 benchmark with my cpu.  

you can try, and monitor the temps, around 80-85c is normal for stock, depending on what cooler you're using

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

you can try, and monitor the temps, around 80-85c is normal for stock, depending on what cooler you're using

I have the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

Just now, Daniel1 said:

expect 75-80c on stock CPU settings.

10 minutes ago, Daniel1 said:

btw i made a mistake in my first post, i said underclocking when i meant undervolting

here's an example

1.325v, notice the temp before the hump is spiky?

Spoiler

image.png

1.1v, notice there's no spike before the bump in temps?

Spoiler

image.png

score is different because 1.325v is OC-ed while 1.1v is running identical to stock all core boost of around 4.0GHz

at stock settings you'll expect to get ~7k

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

btw i made a mistake in my first post, i said underclocking when i meant undervolting

here's an example

1.325v, notice the temp before the hump is spiky?

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

1.1v, notice there's no spike before the bump in temps?

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

score is different because 1.325v is OC-ed while 1.1v is running identical to stock all core boost of around 4.0GHz

at stock settings you'll expect to get ~7k

Is it better to set the CPU Clock Ratio to 38.00 and set core performance boost to disable? 

Just now, Daniel1 said:

Is it better to set the CPU Clock Ratio to 38.00 and set core performance boost to disable? 

I never touched BIOS OC so i cant guide you with that, unfortunately.

but theoretically you can, but the CPU will run at 3800, regardless of load if you OC from bios from what I understand.

you should look at undervolting if you want to get rid of the fan ramps. your fan ramps when your temp is spiky, nothing much to do with core clock afaik.

alternatively you can set your fan curve to less aggressive at where the spikes normally occur, so it wont ramp up and down too much.

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I never touched BIOS OC so i cant guide you with that, unfortunately.

but theoretically you can, but the CPU will run at 3800, regardless of load if you OC from bios from what I understand.

you should look at undervolting if you want to get rid of the fan ramps. your fan ramps when your temp is spiky, nothing much to do with core clock afaik.

alternatively you can set your fan curve to less aggressive at where the spikes normally occur, so it wont ramp up and down too much.

Currently, I have the CPU Clock Ratio set to 38.00 instead of auto and I have set Core Performance Boost to disable.  I have enabled AMD Ryzen High Performance in the Windows 10 Power Option.  The Minimum and Maximum processor state is at 100%.  The cpu is usually between 3.70 Ghz - 3.76 Ghz.  

3 minutes ago, Daniel1 said:

Currently, I have the CPU Clock Ratio set to 38.00 instead of auto and I have set Core Performance Boost to disable.  I have enabled AMD Ryzen High Performance in the Windows 10 Power Option.  The Minimum and Maximum processor state is at 100%.  The cpu is usually between 3.70 Ghz - 3.76 Ghz.  

you can download temp monitoring software like MSI afterburner to see if the spikes goes away

as long as no spike, you shouldn't hear fan ramping up and down