Help Identify Motherboard Components

Go to solution Solved by Murasaki,

The chip seems to be a SPI Flash mainly used for storing a BIOS. I highly doubt the white patch is corrosion since it cant occur ontop of the package surface and only there. As for the V/D/G, those are probably for RGB related stuff, dont got much knowledge there.

Good day,

I need help identifying something on motherboard. On this photo there is "V, D, G" on the bottom below 4-pins where 3rd pin is missing. Above those 4-pins with 3rd pin missing is something that looks like 3 pins, however first 2 pins are covered by something which I think is jumper. Why this jumper is on first 2 pins? What are those 3 pins for anyway? Sorry for not marking that spot on photo by the way. 

Now on this photo theres CMOS battery. Left to it is that small chip that has white spot on it. Does the white spot look like corrosion? It's a motherboard that has been used for 4 months. Could it be chip's coating coming off? Anyone knows what that chip is for? The motherboard is Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite. 

Thanks for help.

8 minutes ago, TechnicGeek said:

Why this jumper is on first 2 pins?

Given that you don't mention the mobo, we can only guess. That said, a jumper like that is typically used to either clear CMOS or choose the mode of operation of something; in this case, it'd probably choose which pin-header would be used for LED-lighting.

Obviously, you should just simply open your mobo's manual and read from there.

8 minutes ago, TechnicGeek said:

Does the white spot look like corrosion?

No, it's paint.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

The chip seems to be a SPI Flash mainly used for storing a BIOS. I highly doubt the white patch is corrosion since it cant occur ontop of the package surface and only there. As for the V/D/G, those are probably for RGB related stuff, dont got much knowledge there.

The header marked VDG is for a Digital LED strip. The bit above it with the Black cover is a voltage jumper for the LED Strip jumper so that you can select 5v or 12v. If you look at the manual on page 15 it is shown there. They are numbered 7 and 8 respectively.