3080 on Memory Express anyone?

Jones Cabrones

Hi all.

Would like to ask if anyone went to Memory Express in Canada to get a card in person today?

Did you get it? Was there a line of people waiting?

I am asking because I asked there in person if they would have stock 4 days before launch and they didn't know, I am looking to buy a 3090 when it is available.

Thank you!

As far as I know, the 2 MemEx's in my city didn't get any.

I drive by Memex on my way to work, there was a line at 8:00 with like 8-10 people outside

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

21 minutes ago, Jones Cabrones said:

Hi all.

Would like to ask if anyone went to Memory Express in Canada to get a card in person today?

Did you get it? Was there a line of people waiting?

I am asking because I asked there in person if they would have stock 4 days before launch and they didn't know, I am looking to buy a 3090 when it is available.

Thank you!

There is a thread on pre-orders being stuffed in seconds by scalper bots that then put cards up on eBay for thousands.  No reports so far of users that actually got one that I’ve seen.  AFAIK 3080 remains vaporware outside of reviewers.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

There is a thread on pre-orders being stuffed in seconds by scalper bots that then put cards up on eBay for thousands.  No reports so far of users that actually got one that I’ve seen. 

memory express specifically stated that you could only buy them in-person. No preordering either

5 minutes ago, wujoh said:

memory express specifically stated that you could only buy them in-person. No preordering either

Based on Canada Computer's Twitter it looks like they're doing in-store/ online order only as well. But from my experience if you purchase online, someone in-store an still "steal" your card. They don't immediately reserve stock. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Based on Canada Computer's Twitter it looks like they're doing in-store/ online order only as well. But from my experience if you purchase online, someone in-store an still "steal" your card. They don't immediately reserve stock. 

Im surprised their were cards to sell at most placed, even in the states. I would have thought employees would have reserved some.

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There is a thread on pre-orders being stuffed in seconds by scalper bots that then put cards up on eBay for thousands.  No reports so far of users that actually got one that I’ve seen.  AFAIK 3080 remains vaporware outside of reviewers.

Yeah I know, I didn't see any reports of bots buying in the store so far though. :D 

Just wanted to know if anyone was able to buy in person today because that is what I plan to do for the 3090.

My Memex is not very close, so I want to save myself the trip if they don't have any on launch date.

33 minutes ago, wujoh said:

Where did you get that info? Not doubting you, just curious, they didn't told me anything useful when I went there in person before launch.

5 minutes ago, wujoh said:

Oh I see, they don't show the stock but there are cards in store if you go there. Good to know :)

You can't see where they have stock, but at least there is hope.

Now I just have to hope that will be the case with the 3090 as well.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Jones Cabrones said:

Oh I see, they don't show the stock but there are cards in store if you go there. Good to know :)

You can't see where they have stock, but at least there is hope.

Now I just have to hope that will be the case with the 3090 as well.

Thank you!

When you went there, they had cards?  I was told by an employee that their servers update the stock on their website in 15min intervals. Im surpised they have stock for the 3080

4 minutes ago, wujoh said:

When you went there, they had cards?  I was told by an employee that their servers update the stock on their website in 15min intervals. Im surpised they have stock for the 3080

No I went before launch out of curiosity, I want a 3090 so I am trying to get info on what I am going to face next week.

I am assuming they might have stock because most of the are out of stock but it still says in-store, some others say out-of-stock in the front image, I might be assuming wrong and this is just a glitch.

Like this Strix here, there is no stock anywhere if you click in the item but still says in store only.

image.png.45915d214d73e96169d8d6eb18dbe7b9.png

image.thumb.png.6ab97825ccd4700b0245d52d66387003.png

20 minutes ago, Jones Cabrones said:

No I went before launch out of curiosity, I want a 3090 so I am trying to get info on what I am going to face next week.

I am assuming they might have stock because most of the are out of stock but it still says in-store, some others say out-of-stock in the front image, I might be assuming wrong and this is just a glitch.

Like this Strix here, there is no stock anywhere if you click in the item but still says in store only.

21 minutes ago, Jones Cabrones said:

i have a feeling that you'd have better luck with the 3090 just because of the price. The 3080 is an expensive card but its at the cusp of most budgets. 

That's a lot more expensive than the FE no? that card was 699$ US right? In Europe the 3080FE was 715€ which is ok I guess but the manufacturer 3080 are mostly around 900-1000€ which is way more expensive for just a different cooler.

3 minutes ago, Elvara said:

That's a lot more expensive than the FE no? that card was 699$ US right? In Europe the 3080FE was 715€ which is ok I guess but the manufacturer 3080 are mostly around 900-1000€ which is way more expensive for just a different cooler.

Canadian prices are never 1:1 with American prices. 699USD is just over 900CAD but since we're a smaller market they can squeeze us for a few more bucks and get away with it. The prices are usually between 70-100USD more in Canada

yeah I knew the CAD wasn't 1:1 with USD but being so close to the US I didn't think the prices would be more expensive and I didn't see the CAD price for the 3080FE on the nvidia website

45 minutes ago, Elvara said:

yeah I knew the CAD wasn't 1:1 with USD but being so close to the US I didn't think the prices would be more expensive and I didn't see the CAD price for the 3080FE on the nvidia website

700 United States Dollar equals

921.66 Canadian Dollar

There was some cards for 999 CAD here, the price is not too bad, some AIB's were 50-100 USD more than FE.

2 hours ago, Elvara said:

It was stated to be that price.  How many were sold at that price is unknown.  The number appear at least to be functionally close to zero as far as actual demand goes.  Almost more of an excuse to name the price that an actual sale at that price.

I don’t know what demand level is.  I remember the number 270,000 being used once as a number of sales for a single type of card.  I don’t know if that was considered a high number or a low number.  I don’t know if that was an old card or a new card.  If it is considered a number in vague range though and Nvidia distributed say, 10,000 GPUs at the named price it would still be only 1/27th of actual demand. So still effectively close to zero.  The number of consoles Sony is producing for its initial release is over 10 million.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Reading about the card from different countries, the card was so fast out of stock and really not many people who wanted the card for them got one but you have plenty on ebay or ebay like website all other the place.... and as long as some people are ready to buy the card at 50% or more the real value, it will always be more expensive than it really is and it's not like a graphic card is an investment in 5 years it will be worth nothing...