Rtx 3080 with intell 9900k

Remyv1

I will be honest this is my first ever PC build so I need some guidance, I have 9900k after seeing all the benchmarks yesterday I just want to ask will 9900k will be a good pair with 3080 without my cpu being bottelnecked?

yes 9900k is a good cpu ad with a bit of overclock it will do just fine

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

1 minute ago, Remyv1 said:

I will be honest this is my first ever PC build so I need some guidance, I have 9900k after seeing all the benchmarks yesterday I just want to ask will 9900k will be a good pair with 3080 without my cpu being bottelnecked?

The 9900K and RTX 3080 combo will work fine.

There can never be a situation with no bottleneck at all; one component will always hold back another in certain scenarios. In most scenarios, these two will work fine together.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

The 9900K and RTX 3080 combo will work fine.

There can never be a situation with no bottleneck at all; one component will always hold back another in certain scenarios. In most scenarios, these two will work fine together.

Thing is I saw all the benchmarks and then I went to this channel named gamer meld and he said 9900k is bottlenecked by rtx 3080 so it has made me worried cause I cant afford to rebuild my pc all over again 

Just now, Remyv1 said:

Thing is I saw all the benchmarks and then I went to this channel named gamer meld and he said 9900k is bottlenecked by rtx 3080 so it has made me worried cause I cant afford to rebuild my pc all over again 

There will always be scenarios where your CPU will be bottlenecked by your GPU or vice versa. Always, no matter the combination of hardware.

Yes, a 9900K in most games can do more than what an RTX 3080 can do; that technically means the RTX 3080 is bottleneck the 9900K. But there will always be scenarios where one component has to do more than another.
Many games just don't use all your CPU threads. That technically means your CPU is being bottlenecked, but in practice we say "the game is running great, my videocard is maxed out and I have headroom left on my CPU".

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't get why people are so afraid the GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU. It isn't like you're running a two core i3 pairs with a 3080, that you get stuttering.

If the 9900K is bottlenecking the 3080. So you get 115 FPS instead of 120 FPS. Big deal?? Moreover, what are you going to do? Sell your 9900K and buy a 10900K? What if the 10900K also bottlenecks your GPU? Stop gaming?

7 minutes ago, Deli said:

I don't get why people are so afraid the GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU. It isn't like you're running a two core i3 pairs with a 3080, that you get stuttering.

If the 9900K is bottlenecking the 3080. So you get 115 FPS instead of 120 FPS. Big deal?? Moreover, what are you going to do? Sell your 9900K and buy a 10900K? What if the 10900K also bottleneck your GPU?

You are also right the thing is it has taken me alot of time to make my first ever gaming PC and all these news that 3000 series is going to bottleneck cpus has gotten me worried, one last thing just to take the rock of my chest these are the benchmarks done on i7-8700k and it is using 99% of the gpu is this fair/good benchmarks?

Screenshot_20200917-154528_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20200917-154602_YouTube.jpg

8 minutes ago, Remyv1 said:

You are also right the thing is it has taken me alot of time to make my first ever gaming PC and all these news that 3000 series is going to bottleneck cpus has gotten me worried, one last thing just to take the rock of my chest these are the benchmarks done on i7-8700k and it is using 99% of the gpu is this fair/good benchmarks?

I watch one review(forget from who, KitGuruTech?). Even the Ryzen 5 3600 won't bottleneck the 3080 for most games. There will always be outliners. Same applies to the "fastest" gaming CPU 10900K. Don't worry, enjoy your PC.

5 minutes ago, Deli said:

I watch one review(forget from who, KitGuruTech?). Even the Ryzen 5 3600 won't bottleneck the 3080 for most games. There will always outliners. Same apply to the "faster" gaming CPU 10900K. Don't worry, enjoy your PC.

Maybe I am not properly understanding the whole point of bottleneck but you explained it well, thank you good sir.

Wow this fear of bottlenecking is getting out of hand. Someone with a 9900K actually is afraid of bottlenecking his GPU. A 9900K is literally one of the fastest gaming CPUs out there...

You can literally use a 3080 with a 3600 and still be fine with ~5% performance loss on average compared to a 10900K at 1080p. As soon as you go to 1440p or 4K there is 0 practical difference between a 10900K and a 3600 in games.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Wow this fear of bottlenecking is getting out of hand. Someone with a 9900K actually is afraid of bottlenecking his GPU. A 9900K is literally one of the fastest gaming CPUs out there...

You can literally use a 3080 with a 3600 and still be fine with ~5% performance loss on average compared to a 10900K at 1080p. As soon as you go to 1440p or 4K there is 0 practical difference between a 10900K and a 3600 in games.

I read on other forums people keep spreading this BS. BS always spread like wild fire.

17 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I am asking cause I am relatively new to all this that is why so I'm just gathering as much info as I can.

2 minutes ago, Remyv1 said:

I am asking cause I am relatively new to all this that is why so I'm just gathering as much info as I can.

Well now you know. You don't have to worry about bottlenecking with your CPU at all.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Remyv1 said:

Gamer meld isn't a good source

9900k and 3080 is a nice combo that will last a long time.

1 hour ago, Remyv1 said:

I'd ignore this guy though, if you look at the things that are "CPU Bottlenecking" he's using benchmarks done on medium settings 1440p, or at 1080p, which if you're considering buying an RTX 3080, if pretty effing worthless. In the Tom's hardware piece he uses they even say as much, it's just part of the comprehensive test suite.
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

His video is actually pretty worthless, he largely just regurgitates/exploits the work Tom's Hardware did. I'd not bother with him in future.

Screenshot 2020-09-17 at 13.26.56.png

cleaned up some clunky phrasing. 
As a rule, especially when using Youtubers who don't run their own benchmarks, check sources, and if you can "meta-analyse" the results from multiple sources.
I've been burned by this is in the past personally, so I speak from experience :P we always look for confirmation bias.
A 9900k will perform exceptionally (as you'd bloody well hope from a £500 cpu) If you're running at 1440p or above, and it's within your budget, enjoy the 3080, otherwise look for something else (if you're not super into ray tracing, a used 2080ti or lower could be a good deal right now)