Im getting a 3080. And thats BAD

BlackRose
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
1 minute ago, BlackRose said:

Thats a very vaild argument but then you also have to consider that hes an old indian man who doesn't know jack shit about tech. And also that this is THE first time hes ever said he would give me a gift. I already felt so bad talking to him about the PSU. I saw that smile on his face when he first said he would be getting me something and i to be honest dont wanna take that away from him.and make him think that hes raised an entitled prick.

Maybe explain to him that you appreciate the gift but upon further research that it's not suitable, and you can spend the money more wisely, and promise you can explain why thoroughly

Parents are normally happy that their child does research before making a major purchase

Well so my father found out what the fuck a 3080 is. Did some "research" on it. And said that im getting one as a gift because i did so well(for someone who used to fail in almost everything) in my board exams. My initial reaction was. YAY! HELL YES! IM SO HAPPY! 

5 minutes later that all vanished when the truthof my life set in.those who have seen my previous post will know whats up, but for those who haven't. Well basically i have a shit low end pc. And ill be getting an over powered GPU for that, that most probably won't fit. And even if it does, it sure as hell won't run on a fucking 230w PSU.

I explained that to the old man and he agreed to also buy a PSU, but Heres where the problems only grow. 

If you dont already know, i have 0 practical experience with PC building. So idk what im supposed to do after i get a new PSU. Do i just remove the shitty one and chuck in the good one? Which one should the fan be facing? Towards the motherboard? Because the only other option is to put it facing the top panel and that will choke it(if you didn't know this power supply of mine has a weird fan on one of its... Side panels? Or it a back panel?)

Do i have to buy a new case as well?! Father was already pretty annoyed when he heard about the PSU. Idk what will happen if he hears about potentially needing a new case as well. 

IF i get a new case.... What happened after that? Do i just transfer the motherboard to it, connect the cables and hope for the best?

Also. I have no fucking clue what cable should go in what pin. Are there labels on the pins or the motherboard? How do i even disconnect all the cables safely? What the fuck is gonna happen to the CD drive i need that shit here in india. Do i need a you need jesus band like the verge guy?

And after all that. Comes the big fat question of. CABLE MANAGEMENT. I have never done that and to me thats the greatest hurdle. Because just yesterday i successfully disconnected the CPU fan, ram sticks and even the GPU on my first try(yay me) but cable management is just...... I dunno. It scares me.

For 700 dollars, I recommend you just making a new PC with balanced component instead.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

how bout asking him if he's willing to spend the budget of a 3080+psu on upgrading your current PC instead?

no point giving someone something that he doesnt need/want

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Like @Fatih19 said, you are probably better of overhauling your entire system. I'd wait until AMDs cards and the 3060 are out and build a better overall system.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Just now, Moonzy said:

how bout asking him if he's willing to spend the budget of a 3080+psu on upgrading your current PC instead?

Have you seen his pc from the other thread? We don't know if upgrading the PSU is possible since it's a prebuilt.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Upgrading psu may require adapter in some rare cases if it's prebuilt pc. But that is not the biggest problem. Make photo of your computer inside please.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Upgrading psu may require adapter in some rare cases if it's prebuilt pc. But that is not the biggest problem. Make photo of your computer inside please.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

24 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Thats a very vaild argument but then you also have to consider that hes an old indian man who doesn't know jack shit about tech. And also that this is THE first time hes ever said he would give me a gift. I already felt so bad talking to him about the PSU. I saw that smile on his face when he first said he would be getting me something and i to be honest dont wanna take that away from him.and make him think that hes raised an entitled prick.

1 minute ago, BlackRose said:

Maybe explain to him that you appreciate the gift but upon further research that it's not suitable, and you can spend the money more wisely, and promise you can explain why thoroughly

Parents are normally happy that their child does research before making a major purchase

Ah, Gigabyte H110M, standard motherboard, nothing very good but at least not some crappy Lenovo custom build.

So basically you just need to plug your new PSU (two cables to the motherboard) and you'll be good.

If we're talking is your new PSU will fit - sure, why not. Looks pretty standard. You should be worry about graphics card - it may not fit.

But imo - get whatever you can get. If GPU or PSU will not fit - you can always find a way to plug them external outside case. :) Why not. GPU will requre special cable (not so expensive) and it will look like crap, but hey - your computer will look very interesting. :)

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

That thought did not come to my head. I will do that yes. Thank you very much.

31 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Update to that. After some talks, i will still be getting a rtx 3080 because i deserve it(my fathers words, not mine. I totally dont deserve a 60k card lol) but i can also buy a new case along with the new PSU. And i am allowed to buy a new CPU some months after the GPU purchase as long as its under 25 thousand indian rupees. I guess ill just wait for ryzen 4000

4 minutes ago, BlackRose said:

Update to that. After some talks, i will still be getting a rtx 3080 because i deserve it(my fathers words, not mine. I totally dont deserve a 60k card lol) but i can also buy a new case along with the new PSU. And i am allowed to buy a new CPU some months after the GPU purchase as long as its under 25 thousand indian rupees. I guess ill just wait for ryzen 4000

That's pretty epic!

Main Rig :

Laptop :

8 minutes ago, BlackRose said:

feel free to ask the community for anymore advice that you may need

depending on your family's finance situation, i might suggest stepping down to the 3070 too

but if he insist on a 3080 that's fine too, though you may end up not using the majority of it if you dont have a good monitor.

as for the casing and psu, we'll have to have concrete evidence that it's using the standard plug before purchasing a PSU

but from what i can see, it's using a standard board, should be good

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

feel free to ask the community for anymore advice that you may need

depending on your family's finance situation, i might suggest stepping down to the 3070 too

but if he insist on a 3080 that's fine too, though you may end up not using the majority of it if you dont have a good monitor.

as for the casing and psu, we'll have to have concrete evidence that it's using the standard plug before purchasing a PSU

but from what i can see, it's using a standard board, should be good

About psu. This antec one is looking real nice right now. Its way under 10k and it looks like its all the cables i could ever need

Screenshot_20200917-144411_Amazon.jpg

Just now, BlackRose said:

About psu. This antec one is looking real nice right now. Its way under 10k and it looks like its all the cables i could ever need

cant really give any solid advice about PSU since im unfamiliar with it

but you can use this list to shop for your PSU

7 hours ago, BlackRose said:

Well so my father found out what the fuck a 3080 is. Did some "research" on it. And said that im getting one as a gift because i did so well(for someone who used to fail in almost everything) in my board exams. My initial reaction was. YAY! HELL YES! IM SO HAPPY! 

5 minutes later that all vanished when the truthof my life set in.those who have seen my previous post will know whats up, but for those who haven't. Well basically i have a shit low end pc. And ill be getting an over powered GPU for that, that most probably won't fit. And even if it does, it sure as hell won't run on a fucking 230w PSU.

I explained that to the old man and he agreed to also buy a PSU, but Heres where the problems only grow. 

If you dont already know, i have 0 practical experience with PC building. So idk what im supposed to do after i get a new PSU. Do i just remove the shitty one and chuck in the good one? Which one should the fan be facing? Towards the motherboard? Because the only other option is to put it facing the top panel and that will choke it(if you didn't know this power supply of mine has a weird fan on one of its... Side panels? Or it a back panel?)

Do i have to buy a new case as well?! Father was already pretty annoyed when he heard about the PSU. Idk what will happen if he hears about potentially needing a new case as well. 

IF i get a new case.... What happened after that? Do i just transfer the motherboard to it, connect the cables and hope for the best?

Also. I have no fucking clue what cable should go in what pin. Are there labels on the pins or the motherboard? How do i even disconnect all the cables safely? What the fuck is gonna happen to the CD drive i need that shit here in india. Do i need a you need jesus band like the verge guy?

And after all that. Comes the big fat question of. CABLE MANAGEMENT. I have never done that and to me thats the greatest hurdle. Because just yesterday i successfully disconnected the CPU fan, ram sticks and even the GPU on my first try(yay me) but cable management is just...... I dunno. It scares me.

Congrats on the exam results and good luck with upgrading your computer.