Current parts or all new build

DJay

Budget (including currency): USD budget isn't a big issue, but I also don't feel it's worth blowing 1.2k on a 3090

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: COD Warfare, League of Legends, Minecraft, Inventor 2017 Pro, AutoCAD Mechanical 2017, Navisworks Manage, and similar

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So below is a list of what I'm currently using and below that is my predicament.

Build:

• CPU: Intel i7 5930k (Not OC'd atm - 6 cores, 12 threads, turbos at 3.7 GHz)
  • GPU: 950 SC+ (Currently thermo throttling at ~150 F when playing games at optimized GeForce settings) -> Replaced by 3080?
  • PSU: 750W 80+ Gold
  • Ram: 16 GB of 2400 DDR4 (15-15-15-35)
  • MoBo: Asus X99-A
  • Monitors: 1080p 165Hz Refresh Rate 1ms Response Free Sync (https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG271R)
  • CPU Heat Sink: H100i (1st gen)
  • Case: NZXT Phantom 410
  • 1 TB HDD Black Edition
  • 500 GB m.2 Samsung Evo
  • 1 GB fiber (8 port switch, 3.1 modem, and 3 Eero mesh router)

So, I went ahead and purchased another 16 gb of ram since a lot of what I do is starting to consume a ton of ram usage day to day.
I received it today and long story short... defective ram broke 4 of my 8 dim slots (trust me I did windows diag didn't recognize, mem87, changes slots, increased voltage, and much more and when it recognized the sticks nothing would post).
My plan was to upgrade the ram and get a 3080 to get rid of my GPU bottleneck, but now I'm thinking to either wait for the AMD launch to get a new MoBo, GPU, CPU, case, and heat sink or ride on my 16gb that I was able to get working (old ram) and use the 3080 to increase the performance.

In y'alls opinion should I wait to replace everything or just get by with the 3080?
Considering I already have good free sync monitors the other benefit would be able to use that.
Additionally I don't plan on 4k gaming, but later I might (4k for "QOL" sucks for a lot of applications since many things aren't meant to scale to that resolution, so I actually downgraded from my 4k monitors to 1080).

Also, if you were to recommend waiting what recommendations would y'all make for the new CPU, GPU (Big Navi is my default atm), heat sink, MoBo, and case (mid tower or smaller).

Since you are going to be using CAD, you could benefit from a Ryzen based system if you were to build a whole new rig. You could also benefit from some faster RAM. What's your budget if you were to make a whole new system?

10 hours ago, vortextech77 said:

Since you are going to be using CAD, you could benefit from a Ryzen based system if you were to build a whole new rig. You could also benefit from some faster RAM. What's your budget if you were to make a whole new system?

So, I have my work laptop (Quadro 5000 series) to do all of my major CAD stuff, but when my buddy wants some 3D models for his printer I usually do it on my personal computer (and any other 2D side projects for my home). So all-in-all it's not a major part of my machine since it's just a general use one.

I don't have a set budget since I'm able to afford the top end parts, but I also want to be conscious on getting a proper price to performance ratio instead of "having to have the latest and greatest".

I think I wouldn't mind spending $300-400 on a MoBo, $500+ on a CPU, $200+ on a case, $100+ on a heat sink, and $150+ on 32 GB of new DDR4 sticks while reusing the rest of what I have.

7 hours ago, DJay said:

So, I have my work laptop (Quadro 5000 series) to do all of my major CAD stuff, but when my buddy wants some 3D models for his printer I usually do it on my personal computer (and any other 2D side projects for my home). So all-in-all it's not a major part of my machine since it's just a general use one.

I don't have a set budget since I'm able to afford the top end parts, but I also want to be conscious on getting a proper price to performance ratio instead of "having to have the latest and greatest".

I think I wouldn't mind spending $300-400 on a MoBo, $500+ on a CPU, $200+ on a case, $100+ on a heat sink, and $150+ on 32 GB of new DDR4 sticks while reusing the rest of what I have.