Should I build a custom keyboard?

CheeseGaming43

I currently have a razer huntsman Te, but would like to build a keyboard that's a bit quieter, but I'm not sure. The most I have ever done in custom stuff before is my custom gamecube controller.

If you have the time and resources to do so: yeah I'd say. It's a fun project and you'll get exactly what you want. Is quite tedious though 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

If you have the time and the money, go for it! A lot of us have.

0G1A8885-Edit,medium_large.1571966921.JP

Best way to build something that is perfectly to your tastes in both form and function.

people spend a shit ton of money on keyboards but if you cant find what you want premade then go ahead, building one custom is pretty expensive from what ive seen. if you just want your current keeb to be quieter theres solutions for that such as oring dampeners for each key, if you just want a quieter keeb theres plenty of options that use a variety of switches and designs for noise dampening.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

7 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

oring dampeners

pls no. 

all they do is make the key feel mushy, it literally changes none of the noise. 

OP, if you are unsure get something like a GMMK Hotswap to get used to swapping switches in and out, etc. If you feel that you need more, go custom. 

8 minutes ago, gloop said:

pls no. 

all they do is make the key feel mushy, it literally changes none of the noise.

ha sometimes, some orings with proper hardness (the blue ones i think) arent super squishy but still dampen the key hitting the backplate which was half the noise with my linear switches. i dont mind the noise but i borrowed said orings from my buddy who put em on his ducky and they werent mushy for either of our boards.

gmmk or some other keeb with hotswappable switches would be a decent start, i cant imagine using different switches often enough to warrant hotswapping but its an option. you have to buy switches that slot into those slots though which gets expensive quickly

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Hey there.

3 hours ago, CheeseGaming43 said:

I currently have a razer huntsman Te, but would like to build a keyboard that's a bit quieter, but I'm not sure. The most I have ever done in custom stuff before is my custom gamecube controller.

Took a look at the Razer Huntsman TE. Linear optical switches should be quiet by themselves, but if you're bottoming out on an aluminum faceplate, you might get some higher-pitched auditory feedback. The GMMK recommended above is a good starter keyboard if you're dipping your toes in the keeb scene, but I don't think it'll help in your case -- like the Razer Huntsman TE, it's got an aluminum faceplate and elevated keycaps/exposed switches. Even if you outfit it with heavy linears and thick PBT keycaps (my particular keeb), you're still going to get some of that higher-pitched feedback (as in, higher-pitched compared to that wonderful thonk sound 🤤).

If you'd really like a mechanical keyboard that's significantly quieter than your current keeb, you might need to bring out the soldering irons. There might be some quiet TKL mech keebs on the market that I can't think of right now/I'm not aware of, however.

As for whether building your own custom keeb is worth it or not, I'd say it depends on how much you value your typing experience and whether you'd be willing to invest the cash/time in it to improve on that experience bit-by-bit. It's an easy hobby to get into, made easier thanks to hotswaps, and soldering is fairly simple. The hardest part is searching for compatible, in-stock components that can satisfy your particular needs/wants, methinks.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

3 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

Took a look at the Razer Huntsman TE. Linear optical switches should be quiet by themselves, but if you're bottoming out on an aluminum faceplate, you might get some higher-pitched auditory feedback. The GMMK recommended above is a good starter keyboard if you're dipping your toes in the keeb scene, but I don't think it'll help in your case -- like the Razer Huntsman TE, it's got an aluminum faceplate and elevated keycaps/exposed switches. Even if you outfit it with heavy linears and thick PBT keycaps (my particular keeb), you're still going to get some of that higher-pitched feedback (as in, higher-pitched compared to that wonderful thonk sound 🤤).

If you'd really like a mechanical keyboard that's significantly quieter than your current keeb, you might need to bring out the soldering irons. There might be some quiet TKL mech keebs on the market that I can't think of right now/I'm not aware of, however.

As for whether building your own custom keeb is worth it or not, I'd say it depends on how much you value your typing experience and whether you'd be willing to invest the cash/time in it to improve on that experience bit-by-bit. It's an easy hobby to get into, made easier thanks to hotswaps, and soldering is fairly simple. The hardest part is searching for compatible, in-stock components that can satisfy your particular needs/wants, methinks.

I am already learning to solder, so i just probably need money, how much does an entry level custom keyboard cost. From what I know its between 100 to 300 but I'm not sure, i would like to build a high quality one. 

10 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

gmmk or some other keeb with hotswappable switches would be a decent start, i cant imagine using different switches often enough to warrant hotswapping but its an option. you have to buy switches that slot into those slots though which gets expensive quickly

Well a barebone and let's say 3 or 4 different switches set to try them is certainly less expensive than buying 3 or 4 different keyboard.  Besides it opens the choice to switches that are usually not available in popular/easy to find prébuilt keyboard. 

So far I have 2 switches set that I like to swap from time to time just to get a different feeling.  Planning on buying a third set in the near future. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

On 9/10/2020 at 9:49 PM, CheeseGaming43 said:

Whether or not you should depends on a few things.

1: why do you think of building it rather than buying?

2: do you have the money / dont care about price?

3: what kind of keyboard do you in the end want to end up with?

The thing is, unless you do everything yourself such as etching the PCB, cutting or buying the keycaps, assembling switches and downloading programming software, by material it will regardless be quite expencive.

If you want to build it as a hobby and have a keyboard that you can be proud of and say you actually made. Then ill say go for it! There are ofcourse the kits you can buy with all you need and just assemble it, but those can be quite pricy.

If you just want a good gaming keyboard without ruining your wallet you might just want to buy one really. But this really depends on what and why you were thinking of building the keyboard.

This is atleast how i see it :)